Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which outdoor print magazines do you read?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which outdoor print magazines do you read?

I used to read them all but eventually determined that rifle reviews were little more than a boys club. These days, if I want to know about something, I go straight to the consumer.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

I read Handloader and Rifle religiously. I also subscribe to Outdoor Life and Sports Afield but I take those to work and leave them in the cafateria for others to read.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 AM

I subscribe to Guns, Rifle shooter, Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Field and Stream, and get North American Hunter and American Hunter as I am a Life Member in North American Hunting Club and the NRA. I read them all.

I sometimes break down and buy a Shotgun News, but I try to avoid it as it alwyas leads to trouble.....
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

My only magazine subscription is to Gray's. It is non-technical and literary in focus, which I enjoy more than I used to. I used to read Field & Stream and Outdoor Life a lot and Sports Afield when I could. I haven't read Sports Afield in quite some time but I've been disappointed the last few times I've read F&S or OL. They both have gone to such ad and illustration heavy formats that I don't enjoy them as much. The technical advice they do give anymore comes across often as biased or just incorrect. I don't wish to sit here and bash them. I just don't enjoy either of them as much as I used to. I enjoy the story telling in Gray's as well as their unrivaled photo essays. For more technical information I turn more and more to books that treat a subject in more depth and websites like this one.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuak12 View Post
My only magazine subscription is to Gray's. It is non-technical and literary in focus, which I enjoy more than I used to. I used to read Field & Stream and Outdoor Life a lot and Sports Afield when I could. I haven't read Sports Afield in quite some time but I've been disappointed the last few times I've read F&S or OL. They both have gone to such ad and illustration heavy formats that I don't enjoy them as much. The technical advice they do give anymore comes across often as biased or just incorrect. I don't wish to sit here and bash them. I just don't enjoy either of them as much as I used to. I enjoy the story telling in Gray's as well as their unrivaled photo essays. For more technical information I turn more and more to books that treat a subject in more depth and websites like this one.
I love the artwork in Gray's. Their photographry is outstanding
gary
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
I read Handloader and Rifle religiously. I also subscribe to Outdoor Life and Sports Afield but I take those to work and leave them in the cafateria for others to read.
Its tough to find one I really like these days, but I buy them to leave at work if I don't its all womens magazines. I fill up a grocery sack and take them in. Within the pile around my chair currently; Predator Extreme, Hunting Fool, all the Buckmasters their phone guys are the best I always have a good chat with them when they call and end up subscribing, Handloader, Rifle, Elk Hunter, Hunting Illustrated, Dangerous Game, others if a title catches my attention. You have to mine a lot of gravel for a few nuggets. I buy them cause I like it that stores still carry them, and they seem to be well appreciated by the men in waiting rooms.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Fur fish and game and american hunter