Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Our Friends in Oz: Dont Cry Over the Ashes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

Our Friends in Oz: Dont Cry Over the Ashes

Hi guys,
I did'nt want to mention the cricket at first but something got the better of me.
This may be a bit childish but we English dont get an oportunity to do this very often. WE WON THE ASHES [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], so dont cry you might win them back, but judging the way your men played i dont think so [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Our Friends in Oz: Dont Cry Over the Ashes

Are ashes that valuable? If so, I will start up an export business and send you all the ashes you have money to buy. How much are you willing to pay for a ton of ashes?

So how do you play cricket in England. What I do is put a flat piece of plywood over some tall grass, wait three days. Take a mason jar (drink all of the moonshine out of it first) and flip over the plywood and catch as many of the crickets as I can before they hop away and put them in the jar. Then I am ready to go fishing after I get a fresh jar of corn squeezings. My best ever is twelve. They are extra hard to catch after drinking a jar of really good stuff.

Hohoho -that was a good funny. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Bob,
i'm with you.i also thought cricket meant fishin bait and i sure am in a world of hurt that we didn't win the "ashes". aren't they what you piss on when you break camp?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Centre Punch, Congtratulations!!!! Enjoy the moment.

However, Aussies don't run for cover, and acknowledge that we were beaten by a team that was playing at home, and played better over the 5 Test series.

No, we won't cry, and look forward to meeting you on home soil in 18 months time, and if you beat us again, then we will acknowledge that you are clearly the better team.

Perhaps before the beers, champagne, and emotion of the victory clouds your perspective, it is best to remember that commencing in 1989, Oz has won 8 consecutive series (4 home, 4 away). Also, since 1876/77, Oz has a 126 - 97 win/ loss Test record over "the Poms", which by any reckoning is a significant difference.

Apart from a lifetime interest in shooting, reloading, wildcatting, etc, I have had about 50 years involvement in cricket. To check how Trescothick, Strauss, etc compare to the Aussies, I invite you to visit www.howstat.com, which is a cricket statistics website that a friend and I put online in November 2000. Enjoy the celebrations and good shooting. Brian.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

buffalobob,
send all your ashes to Australia, they need them more then we do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Oh, and while your are waiting for your Crickets, i will have caught all the fish with bait i bought at the baitshop [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ian

Old 09-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Dave,
That strange game you play with a piece of aluminium pipe and what looks like a small upturned umbrella on your hand, continues to baffle us as to why you throw the bat instead the ball. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Tell me, surely if you piss on your campfire you will get ASHES and PISS on your boots. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Ian

Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

cricket....for everyone who thought it was fishing bait.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!