Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

opinions wanted please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

opinions wanted please

Wont let me post a poll, so I'll ask the question and hopefully get the same amount of feedback.

I am considering branching out from our one species only hunts(lions) to include a spring bear hunt as well. The location is Montana, no bait, no dogs, just spot and stalk. With all the bear hunt options out there and multiple tags, Montana is not considered a bear hunting destination in my opinion. The hunts would be on private lands with a very high success rate. Considering that a guy can go to Canada and shoot multiple bears over bait, other states and use hounds, alaska and shoot monsters, how many of you would consider a spot and stalk experience worth the exspense and rank it above the other opportunities out there?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

Re: opinions wanted please

Knowing full well how difficult it can be to be consistent on bears in MT,even with rivate property Id say your going to have a real tough time competing with the guys in ID and CANADA that can put hunters over bait where they can pick out a bear while they eat trash out of a barrel.S&S is the only way to hunt them IMO but most "bear hunters" would disagree.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

You can go to Canada (BC) shoot multiple bears just glassing clear cuts, see half dozen bears a day, hunt basically August til denning, and into June some places. I'd go north.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

I'd love to spot and stalk bears. However, my opinion is from the point of view that tells me I can't afford such a hunt in the foreseeable future. So if I had the cash to pick and choose, my decision might be different...I don't know.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Lots of variables here, Is Guiding your only job, Can you provide a quality hunt, Is the risk worth the reward as far money marketing it, time in the field, unsuccesful hunters. If it were me I would give it a try with as little expense invested into it as possible and see what your results are. You will find out quickly if will work or not. my 2 cents any how.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
Lots of variables here, Is Guiding your only job, Can you provide a quality hunt, Is the risk worth the reward as far money marketing it, time in the field, unsuccesful hunters. If it were me I would give it a try with as little expense invested into it as possible and see what your results are. You will find out quickly if will work or not. my 2 cents any how.
No, not my only job, the property hunted is a magnet for bears and big ones, the exspense is in the lease, no point in proceeding if the lease can't be covered with profit after the fact, I'll just keep hunting it myself. If there's no market for the Montana hunts there's not much point in securing the lease. It would be priced lower, 2k or less I imagine.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearpaw View Post
No, not my only job, the property hunted is a magnet for bears and big ones, the exspense is in the lease, no point in proceeding if the lease can't be covered with profit after the fact, I'll just keep hunting it myself. If there's no market for the Montana hunts there's not much point in securing the lease. It would be priced lower, 2k or less I imagine.

Ya I just checked out your web page. Nice looking site. Would your existing customers be interested in doing it? May be a good test run since they already have their confidence in ya. Also can I get a discounted rate on a cat hunt?