Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Opinions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Opinions please

You have to realize that this is long range shooting. Most shooters won't shoot off the shelf ammo. To get the most of the rifle's potential, you almost have to develop a load of your own.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP40 View Post
You have to realize that this is long range shooting. Most shooters won't shoot off the shelf ammo. To get the most of the rifle's potential, you almost have to develop a load of your own.
Reloading is not an issue, I have been doing for 25 years, I have two press, and a room full of powder and dies. I have been loading for most of the Weatherby mags,257STW etc..... I am looking a buying a custom gun and before I spent 4-8k on one I wanted some opinions. I appreciate what you guys are posting.

My original thought was the 6.5x 284 because it doesn't take a pound of powder per load. and it has light recoil with out a brake. It also appears they will kill most anything in North America at long ranges based on some of the long range shows! I am fond of the 30cals but was thinking something smaller that would still do the job.

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Tom, I don't want you to misunderstand my post. It was a smarmy reply to swift and his post. You are set up to do what is necessary with a good rig. I am trying to understand why he would make such a comment.
I am a 6.5guy, although I like the 7's also. I have a rifle in each, but they are birds of a different color, one being my heavy gun, the other my light hunter. I really like the versatility of the 6.5s and 7s, and the bullet choices. Hard to go wrong with the 6.5x284. You can do a lot with it and it won't break you with cost or recoil. My 2 cents.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgridley View Post
Reloading is not an issue, I have been doing for 25 years, I have two press, and a room full of powder and dies. I have been loading for most of the Weatherby mags,257STW etc..... I am looking a buying a custom gun and before I spent 4-8k on one I wanted some opinions. I appreciate what you guys are posting.

My original thought was the 6.5x 284 because it doesn't take a pound of powder per load. and it has light recoil with out a brake. It also appears they will kill most anything in North America at long ranges based on some of the long range shows! I am fond of the 30cals but was thinking something smaller that would still do the job.

Thanks
Tom
I was in the same place as you years back with a decent collection of very capable magnum rigs, along with a few tack driver, 308 tactical style rifles. For the first 30 years of my life I used a 270 Win and the majority of my game was shot at a max range of 400 yards. If the bullet was put in the right place, it was dead. These rifles were balanced, accurate, had little recoil, and didn't carry like a crowbar. The perfect rig for my style of hunting, which is a combination of sitting, walking, and climbing, mostly out west, would be a rifle that would mirror these attributes, but extend the range to 1000 yards. I was fortunate to meet a 6.5x284 shooter at one of our competitive shoots and had the opportunity to shoot and learn about this round, and ended up getting a Cooper in this caliber and got my perfect rig in spades.
A side note: with a muzzle brake, while it does require you slip some ear plugs when prone, it has the felt recoil of a 22-250, and allows you to mark the hit quite easily.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt