Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

one finally fell.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

one finally fell.

Ok, some of you might remember that I had been shooting coyotes with 50gr.bt out of a 22-250 and wasn't having much luck. I switched over to a 7mm stw shooting some 162gr. amax. I had better luck but the toughness of a yote just flatly amazes me. I'll give you the story but I didn't get pics, explained in story.

Ok, today I did the normal routine of wake up get ready and start my 45min drive to school. On the way to school I saw three yotes but they were either in places I cant hunt or to far. After school I went to work were I had nothing to do cause of machine problems. Well I decided I would go to the river and see if I can catch a Steel Head. I headed to the river wich is more like a stream. 10-20 yards wide. Well I fished a hole didn't catch anything so I packed up and headed down river. I arrived at another promising hole and turned off the car. While I was sitting there next to the car riggining up my pole it occured to me that a little bush acrost the river was moving. It took me probablly 2minutes before I figured out that the bush was getting blown by an absence of air. I then inspected closer and it finally occured to me that a coyote was in that bush looking for food I asume. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I reach inside the car and grab the stw. All this time the yote is either clueless I am there or dosen't care. I get into a shooting position on the river bank to make the 30yard shot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The coyote eventually decides that I am close enough and steps out and gives me a broadside shot. I wish all coyotes were this dumb. I squeeze the trigger and send an amax across the river. It smacks the yote right behing the shoulder and slams him against the boulder backstop. He jumps up and starts the mad dash to get away. I am just amazed from looking at the once white boulder back stop of the coyote. as he runs away. The boulder is completely bright red and he is running away with what looked to be hide floping in the wind from the bullet tearing it from its carcass. this yote makes it what looked like fifty yards before giving up. Man, If that had been a whitetail it wouldn't have even twitched from the shot. It would have been just bang flop. I didn't feel like swimming the stream/river thing so no pics, sorry. I was just excited that I shot a coyote that went to the ground within eyesight. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
SPONSOR

Re: one finally fell.

Congrats man.... good story and I understand the no pics....
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

Why is it all the close ones are when you have the big guns?I once shot one with my STW w a 140 B-tip at 25 yrds right in the face!It wasn't one for pictures either.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the yote Screech! You must have some of the toughest yotes I've heard of, he he.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

thanks sendero man
Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

BCinKS
sounds like an interesting picture
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

remingtonman_25_06
No joke, I haven't even heard of yotes this tough untill now. If someone was to of told me that they shot a yote with a 50gr. bt out of a 22-250 and they told me it ran away I would have called bs on it. Then I move up hear and these things seem to be running on some heavy drugs of some sort. If I could figure out what it was I could corner the market. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] you will have to head over yonder and see for your self some day.