Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Older Sendero with terrible carbon fouling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Older Sendero with terrible carbon fouling

I happened upon a mid 90s Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag at a pawn shop. Since the firing pin was hanging temporarily before firing, I got it for $550. In the end there was some gunk on the firing pin spring. Cleaned it up and no more trigger/firing pin problems. Shooting some factory Hornady 150 gr SSTs, it was shooting .5-.75 MOA at 200 yds. Long story short, everything went south. I ultimately figured out that my problem was a cleaning issue. As long as the gun is clean it shoots. It looks to be more carbon fouling thatn copper though. After 12-20 rounds it wont do better than 2-3 MOA at best.

So my question is should I be happy with what I have and just keep it clean? Or is there something to improve it?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Older Sendero with terrible carbon fouling

Improve it by getting the barrel scrubbed CLEAN....borescope clean....and that way not only will it shoot tighter groups...it will be easier to clean after a shooting session
Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM

I don't have access to a borescope to check, but I have scrubbed and cleaned with everything imaginable. I have used Montana Extreme, Bore Tech Eliminator, TM Solution, and Wipe Out. Once it fouls it is easy to clean. A couple of strokes with a brush then a couple of wet then dry patches and its good to go again, easy sub MOA. It just fouls again quickly in less than 20 shots.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

JB bore paste and tight patches.I have the same gun and had a fouling issue way back with it.,Not anymore!
The carbon can be a stubborn son of a &^%$#.Get it cleaned out now and don't let it build up again.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM

I have never used this but look into it.. Wheeler Engineering Bore Lapping Kit
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM

I guess I have just been to scared to try JB paste. I have heard it is easy to go to far and start doing more harm than good.