Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Old dude heads west.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Old dude heads west.

unit 67

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

I am a lot closer to buffalobob than to your 48 and he gives some good advice. I backpack up and down the hills every year. I say start training now with a beer a day and gradually work up to the trip so by the time you get west you are emptying enough cans to have a good time. They make great muscle relaxers for sore muscles and make you feel better mentally about the trip.

Doctors say alcohol kills brain cells. Since your a hunter you know that predators take out the weak and sick animals. I figure alcohol does the same thing taking out all the weak and sick brain cells and that is why I am so much smarter when I have a few beers.

With my training technique you would not only feel better on the hunt but be much smarter to outwit those old age class trophies that outfox everybody else. If you need any more help just let me know when I'm not drinking so I can remember what I was talking about.

Amazing the different ways 12 ounce curls can get you ready for hunting season.

Disclaimer: My wife said I need to let everybody know I don't even drink. She says I just act like it sometimes.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 01-12-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Hey visigoth,I see you are from Longmont Colo. An old school buddy of mine lived in Longmont for a couple years back in the late 80s. He and his wife worked up in Loveland at a ski resort a couple seasons. He used to piss me off when I would call out from back here in PA. One year during the Super Bowl,I called to rub him about the score. He was called away from the phone for a second and when he came back he said the sheep had the road plugged up infront of his house again. He got the last rub in on that one. Come to think of it,he always got the last laugh. When he was stationed in Hawaii I called him during the Super Bowel again. We were below zero here and wadeing snow. He said he was grilling out and throwing the frisbee! I hate him.

L.T.L.R., That's how I've been training for years. I didn't realize it was the standard regimen for alpine adventures. I'm ahead of the game.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

Unit 67 is pretty hill, based on the maps so getting in shape will serve you well. I haven't seen any sheep around here in a long time. I think your friend probably wouldn't recognize Longmont today, though the snooty residents of Boulder still love having fun with this place. Good luck on your hunt, it should be good down in that region.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Here is a link to a reprint out on Grand Slam Club/Ovis http://www.wildsheep.org/pdf/six_minute_hill.pdf

I did it 3 years ago to get ready for a sheep hunt here in Colorado and it does work. If it will get you into Sheep Shape it should get you into Elk Shape. The .pdf file is locked and it's too late in the work day to play with unlocking it so you have to open it. One last thing, I did this when I was 62 and I'm still applying for sheep tags and plan on getting at least one more.

Age isn't the problem, commitment is.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
One last thing, I did this when I was 62 and I'm still applying for sheep tags and plan on getting at least one more.

Age isn't the problem, commitment is.
100% Correct!!!!!