Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Old dude heads west.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Old dude heads west.

OK folks. I have a question. I'm 48,and a PA flatlander. I will likely draw an Elk license for next fall and need to drop a few pounds. I'm not exactly a couch potato,but no long distance runner either. I train twice a week in the Martial Arts but don't worry too much about being 200 lbs. What I want to know is what can I do to maintain good muscle mass while dropping 20 or 25 pounds this year before hitting the hills of Colorado. Are there any suppliments maybe along the lines of amino acids or the like that will help while dieting and circuit training? I can hike and carry a pack along with my other exercises,but I don't run. Or jog for that matter. Cardio,weight training,martial arts and hiking are pretty much it. I hope to actually add a little muscle,but would settle for not loosing what I have at present. Any sugestions? Thanks .
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: Old dude heads west.

Skip all the fancy supplements. I live in Longmont, at about 5100 ft. I am also 48, or so, and when I moved here from CT, it was a little tough at first. I took a few days to get acclimated, despite the fact that I was routinely cycling close to 5000 miles/yr. The thing that kills you out here is your ability to recover and utilize oxygen at higher altitude (say 7-8000 ft or more).

If you start with some form of cardio training, you'll be ahead of the game. If you want to drop pounds, do some form of Atkins, where you limit the amount of carbohydrates in your diet. If you cut carbs, and exercise 3-4 times a week for an hour or so, you'll drop the pounds. This will serve you much better than weight training for hunting around here.

The only weight training I would do would focus on the lower body, and would be more circuit training. Lugging large heavy muscles around is hard work, and tone lean muscle works much better at higher elevations. Fast hiking is probably a good start. Also try some kind of "interval" training, where you hike fast for 3 minutes, at your limit, and then slow down and recover for 10 minutes. Do this a 4-5 times, later on in your training schedule (say april/may).

One more than one occasion, we have hunted uphill in the morning, trying to get ahead of the Elk that are heading back to bedding areas. We have found ourselves "hoofing it" up some pretty steep areas, and then suddenly, you spot the herd. Being able to recover from a harder effort and get a good shot off has been key.

When you do come out here, everyone will tell you to drink lots of fluids, but the key is to also consume some salty bars, or electrolytes. This will help you retain more water while hunting.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

I am 62 and will be 63 next month. Don't really understand what you are complaining about at only 48. As was mentioned at altitude you will be having problems with oxygen. Rather than trying to match your lungs to your legs you have to slow your legs down to match your lungs. Everything keys off you ability to transfer oxygen.

YouTube - Time to pack it out
Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

A couple extra days at elevation before the hunt is good also.

My buddy tipped over dead elk hunting last year walking to his dead elk...after a clean bill of health from the Doc.

It wouldn't hurt to get a scan done for blockages. His twin brother went in and ended up having open heart surgery and 4 bypasses after a scan showed the blockages.

His dad died immediately after shooting a Ram in B.C. in 1969 at a few years younger age from massive heart attack. It runs in the family.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

I've dropped 40# so far in preparation for a Dall Sheep or Moose hunt in AK this sept. Cutting carbs has been the biggest thing for me, besides portion size I'm just starting to exercise and am working on toning and cardio. I still want to loose about 20# more. as it gets closer I plan to add my pack and increasing weight in the pack so I'm conditioned to 40# in the pack. I will probably not have the elevation issues you may run into but oxygen recovery will still be an issue if chasing sheep.

I did learn on my first trip to AK that Gatorade or any electrolyte replenishment makes a HUGE difference.

I'm "only" 33 but am realizing I don't recover nearly as fast as I did when I was in AK five years ago. I didn't do any prehunt prep last time and paid for it! I want to make sure I can make the most of any opporttunity that arises.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would also advise staying away from any "magic" pills and such. Eat well and continue to push yourself.

Best of luck on your hunt!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the good input fellas. I appreciate it. I know I need to cut the carbs. I just hate the thought. I do like my cookies and pasta. I am looking forward to getting into better shape in general though. What better reason than hunting Elk?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

So what unit are you drawing for?