Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

OK! I just gotta ask.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

OK! I just gotta ask.....

What is the purpose of the glaring plastic red vest with all of that camo including boot and hat?

Besides being the law, in some places, it makes no rhyme nor reason to me to see two assistants/guides/camera man with out the blaze vest then there's the single fella w/the rife all camo'd with the reflective signal mirror on.

For a LRH setup I carry my 100 sq-in of red (cap) in my pouch and wear it only when going to the setup or changing spots.

Or don't deer/elk etc. see as I do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: OK! I just gotta ask.....

I wear a big orange vest (looks like a upland game vest but all orange), and since I'm not a small guy, that is LOT or orange. I also wear an orange hat. I have seen too many idiots begging for someone to shoot them because they are wearing brown or gray. I grew up in North Idaho and it is very brushy, and people still wear brown/gray and pretty much every year someone is shot (usually by their partner).
Since I grew up in an area like this there is no way in hell that I wouldn't wear orange, even in southern Idaho where it is wide open country.

I am really surprised that more people aren't shot. Yes, I know the rule about being sure of your target, but some people obviously don't because if they did there would be no need to wear orange.

It doesn't seem to scare the animals - I have had them stand there and stare at me (very close too) and the rest of my family has had the same experience. I wear camo pants simply because they are warm and comfy and good for hiking - try to find some that are not camo.

Movement seems to be what they really don't like, especially if they see a human silhouette. As far as I know, deer/elk are colorblind anyway.

The reason that the cameraman/guides on these shows don't wear orange is partially because they are not required to by law and part of the reason is all of these shows have a camouflage clothing company sponsoring the program.