Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Not really LR, or ULR but....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Bronze Member

Not really LR, or ULR but....

was just after some info in the GAMO Hunter 1250. I was thiking of getting one for plinking, and shooting some rats etc in our shed and was just ofter some info and your thoughts. If you feel a differnet air rifle would eb better value for money or whatever feel free to suggest one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Not really LR, or ULR but....

If your going for rats and stuff like that from a distance of not very far I wouldn't get the 1250. I have the 440 and that is at 1000fps. Still lethal enough to take jout almost anything. For raccoon I wound opt for a .22, but anything else it is just fine.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

how is the 440 vs the 1250 in accuracy?
Also will the 440 kill a rabbit at short ranges 30-40 meters?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM

I've got an RWS 48. I like it mainly because I just have trouble with the idea of grabbing on to the barrel and pulling to get it open. The 48 is a side cocker and if the bore isn't absolutely dry it will go super sonic on you [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] it runs at about 1100 fps. Not a nice suprise when you are trying to be quiet. I dusted a cat with a head shot at 60 paces using a match pellet and even had an exit wound. I have also used it succesfully on tree rats out to 25 yds or so.

Cheers [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Accuracy wise I think they are about the same. In my basement I have put damn near every shot through the same hole. Plenty enough to take a rabbit at 30-40 yards as long as you hit the vitals, and if you can hit him. I did hit a rabbit in the head once from a very short range. Dead instantly, another at about 20 yards in a not vitals shot and dead just the same. Make sure when you buy pellets you don't get some crap ones like Copperhead. Get the Gamo Master Point pellets. They are accurate as hell, but still expand. I have detonated a full pop can before. The hole thing splits down the side.