Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Nosler Custom Ammunition????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Nosler Custom Ammunition????

Just wondering about other member's experience with Nosler's custom ammunition. I recently purchased a 264 Win Mag just prior to a mule deer hunt. Naturally, having a new gun, I wanted to try it out on my hunt. I was crunched for time, so I didn't have time to develop a load of my own. I broke the barrel in with some cheap Remington ammo. For hunting, I decided to buy a couple of boxes of the Nosler Custom ammo with 130gr Accubonds loaded into them from Cabela's, with the idea that I would have some "premium" ammo to hunt with, and quality brass to work with in my load development in the future.

To my surprise, when I opened the two boxes, each box used different primers. Odd, I thought. Then I checked the OAL of the shells from each box as I could see with the naked eye that they were obviously different. The difference was .034".

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, as I realize these shells were produced in different lots, but geez, when Nosler states that it uses strict standards, you would at least think that you would get a similar result from lot to lot. When they say "Custom", do they mean that each box (lot) is a custom one-off product

Anyone else ever notice this?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler Custom Ammunition????

I have always hand loaded but about four years ago I was given a few boxes of Nosler Custom 308's loaded to 2800 FPS with 165 Ballistic Tips. This was the same bullet and velocity of my hand loads which I used Lapua brass and 45.3 grains of Varget. To my surprise they grouped sub .5MOA,with the same POI, velocity, and ES as my hand loads. Accuracy was similiar. I ended up giving the rifle to my son in law. Since he doesn't reload, I advised him to use the Custom Noslers which he did. The later purchase of the same ammo looked pretty consistent with the original ammo I used. From that experience, it looks like pretty good ammo.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler Custom Ammunition????

That's what I've always heard too...that it was pretty good stuff. That's why I was surprised by the differences.