Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

No more catagories please??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

No more catagories please??

I really like this site and believe a lot has been lost since the creation of 400 topics. I know there is a fine line between separation of discussions and going too far....... MY opinion is it's a little too defined to get good chat going. I know just for me that checking 100 topics is too much. I just check bullets/barrels and equipment discussions.......how about everyone else?? Just don't want to see things drop off due to confusion and seperation??????
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

I visit fairly often and the first thing I do is go to "quick links" and "Todays Posts". Shows every new post for the last day and I don't have to look at every forum. Simply look at the thread, note if necessary the forum, and if I want to read it a simple little click and I'm there. I just never could see much sense in going to each individual forum to look for new posts. ;)

However, if it's been more than a day then you would have to look at the different forums.;)

From the time I initially click the icon on my desktop to load my browser to reading the first thread is only about 15 seconds or less.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

I don't see a lot of post because I like you don't go into every sub category
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Me too. I just hit handloading, long range hunting, BBB, and sometimes the general discussion. I've probably missed a bunch of good posts or questions I could have possibly answered because I simply didn't have time to go to every subsection.

I guess I could do what ss7mm does. Thanks for posting that tip.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

I was pretty frustrated at first too. Then I found the "New Posts" link. All is well now cuz I try to check the site out at least every couple days and usually a couple times a day just looking for topics of interest to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM
PUBLISHER

Just when I was going to add 37 more categories!

But seriously, I appreciate your comments. Sometimes I wonder if a particular thread posted in, say..."Hogs" would have more play in "Long Range Hunting" or "General Discussion". That is probably so occasionally. But...I think we have much more discussion on some of the newer topics entirely because we draw attention to the subject with a separate forum.

For as long as I can remember I have been using "New Posts". I believe that it works beyond 24 hours unlike "Quick Links >> 24 Hours".

"New Posts" is the key to effective thread browsing even if we didn't have 729 separate forums. Maybe I should mention this tip in our June Newsletter. Thanks for the comments, guys.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 05-21-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

I use New Posts also. Works great, shows me what's new since the last time I visited the site no matter how long ago it was.