Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

News Flash ... .... .. - Lightweight 416 Rigby kicks hard!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

News Flash ... .... .. - Lightweight 416 Rigby kicks hard!!

Fired three shots from my unbraked, too light, skimpy recoil pad rifle today in an attempt to sight in the scope. I was thinking about using this rifle for a bear hunt this spring.

I used a discarded cardboard box at 50 yards (bore sighted) as a target. First round killed the box and mortally wounded the tree behind the box (first round struck ~ 3.5 inches low but I'm sure the box didn't notice). Two more rounds to verify impact and further prove my stubbornness and stupidity before scope adjustment (tree obviously badly damaged and innards hanging out of the cardboard box).

I loaded 20 round of virgin Norma brass with 98 grains of H4350 (check this before using), Hornady 400 grain round nose Interbonds and Winchester LRM primers for this test. I figure the remaining 17 round should last me about 40 years!!
Old 04-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: News Flash ... .... .. - Lightweight 416 Rigby kicks hard!!

That's exactly how I felt after I bought my 460Wby mag. I pretended to enjoy shooting it while it kicked the holy crap out of me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I got a sweetheart deal on a new 460Wby that was ordered by a guy who never picked it up. It was a left-hand model and the dealer could't sell it. Eventually, he sold it to me for cost less the healthy deposit that the other guy lost.

I often wonder who was smarter, the guy who didn't pick-up the rifle or the guy that did . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

VH
Old 04-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Bubblewrap is good. Put on the brick wall before banging your head against it. It protects the brick wall.

Alternate use is to fold over about three layers and duck tape the edges closed so you have a pad about 5 inches wide and 8-10 inches long. Get a large safety pin and insert through the top of the pad and pin to your tee shirt over your shooting shoulder. Put on your plaid shirt and go get your worst friend and take him with you to shoot the gun next time. Don't tell him about the pad you have hidden under your shirt and make fun of him when he wimps out after the first three shots.

P.S. Take 2 tylenol per shot and see your physical therapist twice a week.

A 416 R to kill trees for firewood seems to be an adequate cartridge.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Hey dave, I have a tree that needs cut down. Can you and your rigby come play? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
What are you gonna do about it? Muzzle brake, limbsaver pad, heavy varmiter stock? Ive got a friend that uses his for long range elk killing, but he has no brain so no pain. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'm gonna close my eyes and scrunch up before I shoot... What else is there???
Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

I guess you can hope for only needing 1 shot. If it comes down to it you can either get eaten or get thumped. Choose your 1 shot on that big bruin wisely. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 07:58 PM

now Dave I remember someone tellin' me about snot flyin' outta your nose shooting an unbreaked 338 LM.... what came outta your nose this time!

I shot a 500 Nitro once...... once....