Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

New member/new rifle/first post!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Re: New member/new rifle/first post!!

Thanks for all the great advice!
I've decided to get 165 grn Nosler accubonds (I found them for 25$ a box) then I'm gonna use a friends reloading supply and get started on what bullets my gun likes and dislikes.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

Welcome to LRH, Rboyson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyson View Post
What do you hunters think would be my limit with this gun as far as which game I can take and at what range?
I have used my .308 to kill deer, black bear, and elk. Most of my shots have been between 100 and 200 yards. With the right load, and using a range finder to calculate distance, I wouldn't hesitate to take elk up to 400 yards under ideal conditions.

BTW: Most of the time I use a .243 for deer and black bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyson View Post
I think if I use the better ammo this gun should be a MOA shooter, what do you think?
You will have to try a variety of ammo to see how your rifle will shoot. You might want to try Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, and plain old Core-Lokt SPS plus others to see how your rifle groups with each type of ammo. If you do not find the results you desire with factory ammo, then see if your buddy will work up some handloads for you.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Learn to properly clean the bore.

Learn what a proper "break in" is

Learn what copper remover is.

Learn how often your rig likes to be cleaned.

Stick with the best shooting brand and bullet weight.

If you can put 1 shot on 5 successive days within 1/2 inch of the first day's shot your way more than good to go.

Have fun and wear ear protection.

Welcome to the forum rboyson! The above is great advice from Roy and like others have said, you need to get into reloading it will save you a lot of money pretty quickly. That will translate into more trigger time.........

Pick up "Applied Ballistics" (book) by Bryan Litz (available on this site) and Handloading for Competition by Glen Zediker (available on amazon), and keep reading the forums and asking questions. Have fun.