Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

New member/new rifle/first post!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM

New member/new rifle/first post!!

Hello all, I'm new to the forum so give me a break if I'm posting in the wrong spot lol
I've read a lot of forums from this site and finally decided to join. I hope I can get a lot of help from you More experienced hunter/shooters. I've been shooting for about a year now and at first wasn't much into hunting but Ive decided to give it a try. My main and newest rifle is my Remington 700 sps stainless in 308 with a Boyds stock on it. I was shooting cheap wal-mart ammo but I decided to step up and start shooting the good stuff. I'm thinking Nosler 165gr accubonds, or Sierra gamekings I'm leaning toward the Nosler accubonds. What do you hunters think would be my limit with this gun as far as which game I can take and at what range? I think if I use the better ammo this gun should be a MOA shooter, what do you think? Also if you have any other suggestions please tell me. I don't reload so I can't shoot the VERY expensive stuff, but I'm willing to pay 27$ a box if I have to.

Thanks and I'm happy to be part of the forum.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: New member/new rifle/first post!!

Hello rboyson I have loaded both the Noslers and the Sierra GameKings in my rifle and found the Sierras gave me a better group at 100yds. The Sierra was half the price,cost doesnt always mean better.Its good to try a few different brands some will group better than others. Happy Shooting.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

Shoot as many bullets as you can. Gather your data and shoot the best grouper of the bunch. Once you find the bullet you would like to shoot, live at the range. Get to know your rifle inside and out. By the end of the summer, you will be ready to do all the hunting you can handle, and have a successful season.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum. You've got a nice rifle to start with. There's plenty you can do to improve the accuracy potential. Here's a couple examples of things you can do....

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!

In terms of ammo to shoot, always consider the bullet first. It's the part that is ultimately going to get the job done. Generally speaking, if you can get better than 1moa accuracy out of your rifle, you should be able to take deer at 500 yards.

If you're willing to spend $27 a box for ammo, give serious consideration to saving a few $$ and start reloading. Then you can choose the right bullet for what ever job you have.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

I had a 308 for rifle silhouettes, and I found that a165gn with a fair bc like the Hornady SST retained more energy at 500m than a 180gn. Some 180s wouldn't bring a ram down. I handloaded though.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Learn to properly clean the bore.

Learn what a proper "break in" is

Learn what copper remover is.

Learn how often your rig likes to be cleaned.

Stick with the best shooting brand and bullet weight.

If you can put 1 shot on 5 successive days within 1/2 inch of the first day's shot your way more than good to go.

Have fun and wear ear protection.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM

I am a new member as well, but have been on the site a while reading. Lots of great info and great members here. Enjoy that new gun!!