Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

New job in hunting sales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New job in hunting sales

4kedhorn--a 2.5lb 1911 is probably not the best to start a lady out with--I tried this and it is tough for them to rack the slide

revolvers all the way for beginning shooters--less to think about and much safer.

a model 10 38, or 681, 686 are probably the best starters--heavy enough to buffer recoil and damn near idiot-proof.

also a beretta 96/92 are too freakin big for my hands (im 6"1'), no way a lady can get a proper grip.

Best auto for a women/beginner is probably a spwingfield XD, but i still think revolvers are best.

BTW--i worked in a gun shop for 5 years.

And for god's sake, stop trying so hard to get a date [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JB
Old 10-13-2004, 12:34 PM
daveosok

One thing I've found helpful is to just listen while standing near a sale that is about to happen.
I once watched a customer listen to a bunch of bs about how this gun does that and this gun does this and the saleperson ended up selling him a Wby rifle at around 1200 or so dollars then sold him a tasco world class scope to stick on top of it.
The salesperson was just trying to make a sale and he did but the customer lost out.
I like to watch and listen and then formulate a plan to where the customer wants to go and offer them a selection unless they name off a particular gun.
If the customer names off a particular brand you can be assured that he or she has done their homework, or been told to get that particular weapon so stay in their path and just help them as best you can.
When they ask you for your advice its best to find out what price range they are looking at and try and get them a good combo for that price range.
Just my two cents.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:55 PM

i found most woman in my area looking at concealed... either like the lady smith, bersa thunders,walther and sig variants.. and that great little kahr pm9... so sweet.. but either way, involve her into the sale either... and that personal defense class is always a positive! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 11:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

jb1000br

Thanks for the input, always welcome but...

The point was simply to not relegate the female customers to the gun their male counterpart wants them to have. Find out what EACH customer has in mind and offer them ANY appropriate gun.

My 5'2" wife hates revolvers and shoots a Springfield compact .45 better than I do (22lb slide spring) and shot Gonehuntingagains .40 Beretta last weekend with no apparent problem which is why I threw those in as examples.

My 6 year old has, within the last month, begun shooting paper with a Colt .380 Mustang pocketlite semi auto. He doesn't seem to have a hard time understanding how to operate it. I think it depends on the type of instruction and if there is any instruction at all. If there will be no instruction for a new shooter (some beginner that just wants to buy a pistol and load it and put it in the top drawer) then I agree, revolver all the way. If the person is seeking instruction as well as a gun then please don't assume that they are too dim for either semi or revolver.

As for getting a date, of course you know I am joking and don't intend that The gun counter personell "hit on" all the customers that they find attractive. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 PM

well as one other posted i worked as a gun smith for gander mountin the biggest thing I can offer up is listen to what the customer is telling you they want.Dont try to sell them something you want or think is better I was real amazed at how much reaserch some of our customers had done.But dont faint when a guy asks if this box of 30-06 is good deer ammo and what has to be done to his old FOX side by side to let him shoot them
Old 10-28-2004, 08:58 AM

This spring I had money in hand, with my little heart set on a .338 RUM, as I went to the Bass Pro Outdoor World in Pontiac, MI (Detroit).

I saw none on the shelf, so I asked the older (60's) gun counter employee (not the one with spiked up hair and a eyebrow ring if they could order me a .338 RUM in a Model 700 LSS. The guy looked at me and said "you don't need one, a 30-30 will kill anything you want, besides do you know how much they kick?"

I personally know how much the 30-30 will kill and have respect for it, but when a customer asks you a specific question, do your best to answer it, and don't give your "expert opinion" unless asked.

That is why I don't shop at Bass Pro anymore. Actually never did before, but had a gift card to burn up.

just my 2 cents.

Big E