Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

New Guy / New Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

New Guy / New Rifle

Hi All,

I've been hanging around in the background for a few months. I've been mainly a pistol shooter for the past 35 yrs.or so but am getting the itch to kill and eat something, so I'm looking at long guns again. Been playing with an old Mauser for most of the past year and decided to buy a new Remington 700 SPS Varminter in .308, it'll be here next week. My question is barrel break in

I know, I know, its been covered over and over again here and at 6mmBR but that is just my dilemma You shoot and clean, shoot and clean! No its a waste of time! You must use Final Finish! My head is about to explode.

Now I have owned quite a few new pistols and built several myself and have never done a barrel break in, I do however clean my pistols every time I shoot and completely disassemble them about every fourth trip to the range.

So whats up? I plan on having this gun for some time and if my interest turns out to follow my history I'll own several before to long and have to set aside another part of my basement for reloading and what not.

Thanks

David :confused:
Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

There's a lot of debate on the subject, and most seem to agree barrel break in is a good idea. My view is it cant hurt if your careful in your cleaning. I use a vinel or plastic coated cleaning rod and only nylon brushes.

Here' a couple article by Dan Lija

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Centerfire Maintenance

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: Barrel Fouling

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams