Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

New Build Opinions Needed-SS polished or matte finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Build Opinions Needed-SS polished or matte finish

Im sorry I mixed up the options AGAIN. Oops. Yes brushed first choice, bead blasted second, and super shiny third is my vote.
I think the more shiny option might ''take away'' from the curly maple stock. If you hand selected that one piece of wood Im guessing there was a reason for it. You already have a parts list of the highest quality, so the rifle will speak for itself and no doubt look great in any finish. Id concentrate on accenting/complimenting the wood with a ''less briliant'' look on the steel.
Maybe Im doin you more harm than good here. Sorry. Aparently my mind is still frazzled from my mother-in-law being here this weekend. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

winmag, your not doing more harm than good. In fact you've help me sort through some of the choices and I value your opinion. I appreciate it. Hopefully you've recoverded from Mother-in-laws visit by now.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Bead blast all of my components right before final assy----do the action, spider web finish on the tube, bottom metal which includes the H&S detachable mag system, bases and rings. Like the look and it is easy to re blast if needed.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

I know you mentioned that you want have to worry about the criters but thats what pravoked me to get my rifle bead blasted when it was at the smiths . I had him bead blast just the barrel and action then I painted the trigger guard myself . I have the Hs stock on my RUM but i think it would look real good with your wood stock as well . I remember letting my friend shoot my rifle on a sunny hot day , we were shooting at a target that was 829 yards away he went down to were the target was but waaaaay off to the side of the target with hishand held radio he told me that my barrel looked like ONE big reflector . It always bugged me after that. Sounds like your gonna have a shooter . make sure to post pics of it which ever way you go

BigBuck
Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Bigbuck, that's the last thing I'd want to hear and it would bug me too. Good point I appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your personal experience.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
winmag, your not doing more harm than good. In fact you've help me sort through some of the choices and I value your opinion. I appreciate it. Hopefully you've recoverded from Mother-in-laws visit by now.
Ya, its a long recovery proscess.
Hey I just thought of something. Have you ever done any gold leaf flake inlay on your barrel satmps? I do my own. Its an easy proscess. But Ive noticed great results on super smooth blued barrels and brushed stainless. Matt/coarse finishes dont work too well with the meathods I use. I dunno if your into useless fancy crap on your rifles, but I think it looks neat. Its a different way to dress up a rifle. With a stainless bbl, and a curly maple stock, that might look pretty cool. Just another odd-ball, way out there thought.
Id post pics, but Ive tried a dozen times since I posted my Bear pics way back when and I cannot get anything to post. Im a technology retarded individual.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

winmag, let me know if you want/can shoot me a pic to my email. Chas