Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The Negative Side of getting a 270 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

The Negative Side of getting a 270 AM

Her: What's that white stuff in your cases

Him: Toilet Paper

Her: What's it for?

Him: To hold the corn meal in.

Her: (Silly grin on face) Now, even I know you don't shoot corn meal in a gun. You use ammunition..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Him: There's 20 grains of Unique under the corn meal.

Her: What's Unique.
Hey, is that my good cookie sheet that you used.

Him: (Looking the other way) No!

And on and on.

Should have done this out in the mountains as buffalobob did! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
SPONSOR

Re: The Negative Side of getting a 270 AM

Can't wait....now I know what I am in for. I might have to take the wall tent and make a trip to the hills for a couple of days. Any pics of the rifle?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Just remember there's gonna be a whole lot of things to list on the positive side of having a 270 AM so I think the positives will outweigh the negatives. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Although the bad thing is that one negative with the wife will be equal to several positives. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Very important tip that I forgot to mention to you Roy, do not use the wifes cooking sheets or load in the kitchen or anywhere around your wife for that matter!!! They already think we are crazy, why prove it to them!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My wife thinks I am a nut when I wawlk out on the deck and touch off five rounds of fireforming loads. The first time I think she was about ready to call the cops on me thinking I was throwing bullets into her lawn!!!

Now she just thinks I am a little off! She knows me pretty well!

Keep us posted as to how that old Rem shoots.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Remember to clean the barrel afterwards. That is a whole lot of powder that has to be scrubbed out of there and it is not too very clean burning. The barrel will also get warm and needs to be kept cool. I lost two cases out of a hundred from split necks which is not too bad considering the amount of reduction the necks went through.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:16 AM

Here's another negative to a Kirby gun. They are pieces of art. Do you really want to drag your best art in the dirt, risk dropping them, banging them on the brush, getting blood all over them?

When it's hunten season. HE!! yes. But when I'm out rock busten, hiking, scouting, etc - I often take my Kirby modified factory rods.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

P.S.

Take a flashlight and look into each case. If the chamber gets hot it will heat the brass and the cornmeal will "melt" into the shoulder on the bottom part of the case. A bent peice of wire can be used to scrape it out. Otherwise the cornmeal will cause a reduction in case capacity.