Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Needed: Suggestions for new LRH article topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Needed: Suggestions for new LRH article topics

i think physical preparation,up to the point of taking the shot, when to shoot and when not to based on 1's physical prowess, ie if i shoot that buck in draw at 1000 yards can i retrieve it in my condition, is this more fundamentally ethics( yes) probably. work out to get into shape both physically and mentally and success will come. i'd like to see a write up on something along these lines.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM

There is a lively interest in extreme BC bullets. Evaluate their performance for accuracy of claimed BC and their terminal performance at both velocity extremes.

Another topic is ways to keep the bullet protected during the rigor of the hunt while
not in the chamber.

Yet another, keeping gear protected and quiet during the stalk

And last, coping with the federal lands "Travel management program"
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 PM

I'd like to see articles on using your Model 70, 700, 77Mkll etc. The rifles that the average family man uses or at least all I can afford. A $1100.00 scope would really be a prized optic, but I'll never own one. The best I can do is a Leupold 1 or ll. I reload to save money so I can shoot alot, but I'll never be able to afford a custom rifle and top of the line scope. I did pick up a 700 SPS Varmit in .308 and people keep telling me I have to get another stock for it, at a tune of $300-400. The custom stuff is great stuff but not all of us can afford it, so I personnally have to stick with just what I can afford stuff. I guess I've rambled on enough.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

an article detailing all of the gear used on a backpack hunt and why, going over several brands ups and downs of each, also the strategies of a back pack hunt.

Last edited by Russ M; 07-24-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: miss spelled crucial word
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM

I noticed that there hasnt been much info reguarding temp, elevation, atmospheric preasure, humidity when shoot long distance. I use a Krestol metor to give me dope and this really helps.
I know it just isnt getting the distance and cranking in the turret for an accurate shot.
CNEBEAR
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM

What about an article on the long range slug gun for big game? Most journals do not cover slug hunting let alone the "longe range" aspect of it.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Ive been lurking for a while now and decided to sign up when I saw this thread.
I would like to see an article on how lock time effects accuracy. Long lock time, mauser vs shorter lock time, remington 700. or whatever guns you want to add to the equation.