Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Need tips for transporting a deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Need tips for transporting a deer

I'm new to deer hunting. I'm going this year and I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to get pegged to drive my (wife's) new suburban.

Any tips on the best way to haul a deer back home without making a huge mess in the back of my truck?

Wish I had a pickup.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need tips for transporting a deer

You can buy a plastic tray made for suburbans that fits in back ($50), get hitch
hauler that fits on rear hitch ($60) or last bet, put heavy plastic drop cloth down.

BH
Old 10-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Silver Member

Go to the nearest Surplus store and buy some body bags. I have a couple that I put deer in when i have to use my wifes Explorer. I also have the cargo tray as previous mentioned. The bags are just extra insurance. My wife could pick out a spot of blood from a mile away.

Matt
Old 10-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a large rack for the back of my SUV. It is 24"X60" and has 4" high sides. Fits into the 2" receiver under the rear bumper. I put an 8'x10' cheap PVC tarp on the rack, pile on the deer, then wrap it over him and tuck the excess tarp underneath. A few bungie cords to keep the tarp down when hitting highway speeds and your done.

No dirt or road grime gets on the deer and non-hunters are not offended even if they can guess what inside of the tarp.
VH
Old 10-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Another thought. I have previously purchased through a mail order house(can't remember where) very large and strong game bags. They were made of heavy plastic and could hold an entire deer and still be closed tight with a wire wrap.

If you must put a bloody, bug ridden deer in your wife's truck, I'm sure that she would appreciate you bagging it completely. Maybe someone on this board knows where you can get a few of these bags.
VH
Old 10-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

Keep in mind the plastic will keep in any body heat. Lay down a tarp and use a body bag or canvas bag. the heat needs to get out of the game
Old 10-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

I would suggest the Hitch Haul...A deer inside a new suburban would take away from that"New Car Smell" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]