Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Need Some input Please. New Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Need Some input Please. New Gun

Personally I would not shoot it. Unfortunately I believe another assualt weapons bill will be passed. The gun will be worth much more unfired. I shoot a bushmaster sst varmiter and my boys shoot colts. About a year ago I bought three other AR's. As an investment. They have done much better than my 401K. If you want to shoot it I have had good success with Hodgdon Varget powder and Barnes varmit gernade bullets. They are devistating on prarie dog. For punching paper I just by Winchester PSP bullets in 500 bulk packs. I also suggest that you pick up some 20 round mags. Don't get the 30 rounders they extend down to far for shooting off a bench. buy name brand mags - colt or dpms mags work best for me. Becareful there are a lot of junk mags out there.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

Personally I would not shoot it. Unfortunately I believe another assualt weapons bill will be passed. The gun will be worth much more unfired. If you want to sell it I would wait for a while. The value is. Only going to go up. I shoot a bushmaster sst varmiter and my boys shoot colts. About a year ago I bought three other AR's. As an investment. They have done much better than my 401K. If you want to shoot it I have had good success with Hodgdon Varget powder and Barnes varmit gernade bullets. They are devistating on prarie dog. For punching paper I just by Winchester PSP bullets in 500 bulk packs. I also suggest that you pick up some 20 round mags. Don't get the 30 rounders they extend down to far for shooting off a bench. buy name brand mags - colt or dpms mags work best for me. Be careful there are a lot of junk mags out there.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hunter View Post
Personally I would not shoot it. Unfortunately I believe another assualt weapons bill will be passed. The gun will be worth much more unfired. I shoot a bushmaster sst varmiter and my boys shoot colts. About a year ago I bought three other AR's. As an investment. They have done much better than my 401K. If you want to shoot it I have had good success with Hodgdon Varget powder and Barnes varmit gernade bullets. They are devistating on prarie dog. For punching paper I just by Winchester PSP bullets in 500 bulk packs. I also suggest that you pick up some 20 round mags. Don't get the 30 rounders they extend down to far for shooting off a bench. buy name brand mags - colt or dpms mags work best for me. Becareful there are a lot of junk mags out there.
I'm sure glad you mentioned it, because I was about to buy the 30 rounders. Good to know. I hear ya about the 401k. I don't have much left in mine. Only wish I could have know, or I would have invested heavily on guns. Oh well. Thanks again!

Jason