Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Great stories, I have a buffalo story that I almost prefer to forget. Had to kill a wild, free-roaming buffalo a long time ago up in northern Saskatchewan. After four 150 grain Silvertips to the noggin he was still walking around, fortunately the fifth shot went into the ear canal and got to his brain. Very uptight situation since I would have been in deep doodoo if he had got away wounded. Wrong bullet, wrong shot placment. We sank a Dodge 4x4 in a swamp, bent the prop on a Cessna 180, filled the trunk of the bosses' Chev car with buffalo blood, ruined the backseat upholstery of the Chevy when a cooler of Northern Pike leaked (fish slime is about like acid to Chevy seats), busted the overhead hoist at the abatoir and then to top it all off, the cape went rotten when the taxidermists walk-in freezer failed. Just another field trip in the good old days.

Unread 07-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

All of these were with a 300Win Mag

White tail deer, broadside 75 yards, 165gr ballistic tip @3250fps. One shot to the heart - drop on the spot, no quivering or kicking just plain dead. Only part of the heart that I could find was the tip of it, about the diameter of a quarter and 1/2 inch thick - the rest of it was liquified. bloodiest deer I have ever gutted.

Mule deer, broadside, same load @ 75 yards. Double lung hit and ran for 75 yards before falling. The deer did not jump at the shot - just ran and didn't act like it was hit. Just a couple of drops of blood at first, then a few bigger drops, then it looked like someone took a can of spray paint to every bush it went by.

Mule deer, , broadside but moving, same load as above, 25 yards. Liver shot, deer didn't run, but walked fast and looked like it was crouching - first time I had seen that. The deer ran to my left like this then back to the right and fell over and looked like it was trying to run while laying on its side. Didn't look for a blood trail since it never left my sight.

Mule deer, 200gr Accubond, quartering slightly away at 437 yards, hit one lung, bullet just missed the other lung on the way out. Deer kicked once and ran for 20 yards over the top of the hill. Only found one drop of blood on a branch behind where the deer was standing, very few drops on the way to the deer.

Hope this helps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I keep nature balanced - I hunt everything!
Unread 07-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Ian I'll mention some that stuck in my head for one reason or another.

I was sitting in a field and a curious 6 pt. buck walked up to me. As I moved to a kneeling position, which I had never practice from, I sent an arrow perfectly into the center of his guts. He took two quick steps then did the back arch belly scrunch, and very gingerly walked about 60 yards into some pines were I recovered him about 3 hours later.

I've had a couple of hip shots on running deer which results in a instant drop with an atempt to regain footing.Mostly they just get there front end up and take a finishing shot.

Most of my double lung shots at running deer show very little reaction other than sometimes they speed up for a short distance, and then slow down and sucum to the wound.

I shot one buck on a very hard run with a 243. Hitting him just below the white patch, but from perfectly broadside. The bullet went through the very front of his neck cutting jugular viens/arteries. He did a very impressive cartwheel and regained his feet, going about 40 yards before colapsing.

I was called to do a deer farm extermination for CWD purposes a few yeard ago. I used a 223 with 55 gr Soft points at 2950fps 16" barrel. One deer in particular That I remember was shot perfectly in the heart. she did a small rear leg kick trotted about 35 yards and colapsed. The whole way her tail wipped and twitched violently. This trait I have seen enough times that when it happens I'm 95% sure where the bullet or arrow went.

Hope this helps.
Unread 07-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

Neck shots with .300 win all signs of life are gone before sound of shot is gone. Frontal chest shots result in pretty much instananeous death , however a very messy gutting job.
Unread 07-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Want to increase my knowledge base on the reaction to bullet impact - depending on location, systems hit.
Interested to know what you guys look for, what you feel are reactions to bullet hits

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian this is a no brainer. If I get a hit on any game I look for high fives all around because it dosen't happen very often. Some times it is a handshake and a word of congradulations. Usually my brother and I have a celebratory smoke. Well, not usually, we only did this once. But we would do it again if I got another deer and he was there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry, I couldnt resist.
I'm shutting up now.
GRAVITY. It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Unread 07-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

Ian, just one hunt in particular to relay to you. Several years ago I took my nephew deer hunting and we watched a nice buck come to a pond and start drinking water. After the buck had drank his fill, he stepped up where my nephew could get a clear shot. He had buck fever and made a bad shot, but the buck dropped dead on the spot, and never even twitched. He hit the buck broadside, low gut, with a 140gr corelock bullet from a 7 rem mag. The shot was only 75 yds. The hydrostatic shock of the bullet connecting with the water the buck had drank killed him instantly. Just one interesting observation for your info.
I can do all things through Christ!
Unread 07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

this post doesn't fit your parameters, but it is the oddest rifle kill I've ever experianced. I am an old bowhunter so I like low heart lung area shots. The kind of bloodtrails a blind man can follow.

Several years ago I had tagged out except for a doe tag. My wife wanted a stand I had seen a good 8 point the evening before so I opted to hunt one of my bowstands. For some dumb reason I took a steyr ssg match gun (.308) that had a 250 yd. zero . This gun was set up to shoot wheatfields with bi-pods. A doe appeared at 16 yd. I had the forend on my left knee and took a heartshot 3 inches above hairline. The deer took off and I heard her crash some 50 yd. away. When I walked up on her, she was stone dead and NO BLOOCTRAIL. I had forgotten about the guns zero, and at 16 yd. the 150 nosler b.t. only creased the hide barely exposing her sternum. No entry wound. My assumption was the shock must have stopped her heart.

Odd but it really happened

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some assistance needed :) Texas Republic Member Introductions 3 11-10-2010 11:45 AM
Wyoming Antelope Unit 23-Any Info Appreciated dusty roads Antelope Hunting 1 08-31-2008 02:18 PM
Savage Assistance Needed royinidaho Gunsmithing 11 06-09-2008 08:08 PM
Ladder and/or OCW Assistance royinidaho Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 03-06-2006 08:34 AM
Assistance Request p dog shooter Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 11-01-2001 12:50 AM