Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Need some answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Need some answers

Ok I'm not exactly sure how to word this question. But I was wondering if gunsmithing and "gun building" would make enough to be a "primary" job or would it have to be more of a part time hobby??? Obviously reputation would be important....but I just wanted some input from actual gunsmiths and builders. I would love to do this for a living, work with guns all day would be a dream come true Hope I didn't step on any toes here, thanks for any input.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need some answers

Well you hit the nail on the head there. Reputation. It's a must for you to have a good background in machining with running a lathe, mill and welder. I am an engineer and have experience in all three but I have no where near enough of it. A lot of the gunsmiths on here with great reputations seem to put in extremely long hours for what they get paid.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Ok thank you for the reply. Where would I need to get started in this(schools, classes) just kicking around the idea. I've welded a little, been around a cheap lathe, no mill experience. I'm in high school so it'll be a couple years before I could do anything but am really interested in it Thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

I believe the best gunsmithing school you would want to attend to make a career out of it is out in Denver, but I can't recall the exact name of it. I'm sure you'll get a response or two on this thread on how to proceed if you decide to give it a go! Good luck youngun!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for the replies. If anyone could name the school or tell what would be required (degree's, skill, etc.) for the gunsmith/gunbuilder jobs. Any input or experiences from gunsmiths here on the site would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

The school your looking for is in Trinadad Co. The school is great but stay out of the hospital
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

The 'tuition' is going to be steep no matter how one looks at it.

I would recommend that instead of going to a "gun smith" school take some machining classes at a VoTech school. Or hire on as a floor sweeper at a local machine shop and move up. Or, even work there for free. Anything for good experience.

I've noticed that the "smiths" on here fall into a certain temperament group. Each is a unique individual in their own right but have a common character thread.

As much as I'd like to do that kind of thing I just don't have the character for it.

To invest the time and dollars for schools etc and learn that you can't make a good rifle would be depressing, I would think.

Study the successful rifle smiths on here and see how they slowly made the move to full time rifle making. That is an education in itself.