Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

In need of a Rifle Case?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: In need of a Rifle Case?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were looking for an ATV style case

[/ QUOTE ]

I am but the ones I know of, my gun would not fit in them with my scope and Harris Bipod.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heres a thought. If you are riding up to 6 hrs or if you plan on using a bipod then quick access is probably not an issue. Kolpin makes two different style cases that will hold a rifle up to 26" and scopes to 50mm that I am sure of and as you can see your scope is not an issue with these units either. Your pod could easily be remove and reinstalled later (depending on your set up).

If I were traveling up to 6hrs one way I would want room for fuel and water cells, camping supplies and such and would not want to use such a large case on my machine. Something like a pelican case I would have to mount straight up in the back of the machine as I would not want something that large on the sides as control issues would certainly be a problem for me.

I have used one of the Kolpin units mounted on the side of the front rack facing back. I can use the entire front rack for fuel cells and water cells if needed and the unit is out of the way so controlling the unit while traversing hills is no problem.

Our cases are the transport 5 which is the hard shell and has a full length padded guncase with extra padding where the action and scope are. I think these are great as you can use just the padded guncase at camp at home or where ever, and then all you do is slide it into the hard case and now you have incredible protection for your gun.

They are rugged, water & mud no problem, and are removable to be used as a caring case and are airline approved.

This is just my opinion. I am a Licensed National ATV Safety Instructor and we spend a lot of time on our machines and on the trails. The other style cases are great if you just plan to use them for airline travel or transporting in a vehicles but these large cases would not be something that I would want on my machines.

To sum it up, any of the cases you are looking at will protect your rifle. I think either way you are going to have to compromise. If you keep the pod on then you will have to go with a large case, or if you want to stay with a small case you will have to remove pod. Its a compromise that you will have to decide. But because you said you will use it 95% of the time on your ATV which you ride hard, I think size and riding style will dictate what you will end up with. Good Luck and ride hard. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: In need of a Rifle Case?

Living where you do, with the extreme cold weather I would stay away from the Pelican case because they crack and break in extreme cold. Starllights just dent, they do not crack and break - different polymer that handles cold differently. I like Pelicans a lot but have seen many of them with broken out corners when dropped in extreme cold.
Your best bet would be the Kolpin which mounts right to your atv - hopefully one of their sizes will accomodate your rifle.
I did an article a while back and had virtually every commercial hard gun case to use on the trips that I had planned. Bottom line, the cheap ones ALL leaked moisture and dust - that included the not so cheap aluminum cases.
Your use is probably as demanding as air travel - I would go with as much foam padding as possible, then hopefully keep the rifle in a soft case and put them both into a hard case. Not quick to get at but a rifle/scope that is shook enough to lose its zero is useless to you for hunting.
Good luck with your decision and hunting.