Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Need gun case to fit scoped rifle with attached bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need gun case to fit scoped rifle with attached bipod

I just bought one from Dicks for my varmint rifle..My gun is 52" long exactly. Is a bit snug on length but not bad.

Its a soft case but has thin plywood (luaghn)spelling? on the outsides. Was originally 80 bucks but on sale for 49 now. I'll get the brand name tonight when I get home.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Len, I have Kolpin cases at the shop that I use. Will fit a 28" barrel with a smidge to spare. Plenty deep for scope and pod.

I still need to find that amish guy who makes these heavy custom canvas cases.

If I can get him to make us some XL cases to spec, this problem will be solved, even with the 30" braked guns.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Len, you might want to shoot dave at quitehide holsters an email. he mostly does pistol stuff but he can make it to your specs. he made me a backpack for my SP very quickly and I am very pleased!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

I use a black hard case my wife got me from ChinaMart. My 26" scoped model 70 with bipod fits just fine in it with room to spare. 29.95.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

My rifle no longer fits my original case also, so I was looking for another and decided to get a tactical drag bag from TacOps or Blackhawk. I handled the TacOps one the other day and I think it would be just the ticket. Very rugged and well made and it has a spot for a cleaning rod and many other spots for other gear.
It costs a few more bones than the other cases I was looking at but I'm starting to get real touchy about my rig and how I have it so I'm thinking go big on the case for my rifle. Then I know I'm good to go when I pull it out.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Bronze Member

Len, you seem to have a very definite preference for a soft case, but thought I would chuck this in as well.
I made a case from solid 1 1/2"x 3/4"pine frame with ply wood attached as the outer cover. Both top and bottom halves are indentical. The interior is a foam base lining with eggshell foam cut to fit the shape of the rifle then glued as the next layer. (eggshell in Oz, don't know if it is the same in the US.) When the case is shut and latched, the rifle is held quite firmly in suspension as it were.
It seems to protect the rifle really well when in transport, and one does get a certain satisfaction from making something like this.
Cheers

"There's no fool like an old fool, eh ! "
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I made a case from solid 1 1/2"x 3/4"pine frame with ply wood attached as the outer cover
I made one of those also. It weighs about 40 pounds.

It also makes a good reloading bench.