Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

need a good gunsmithing lathe????? What brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: need a good gunsmithing lathe????? What brand

Reed,
In my opinion there is only one way that a barrel should be worked on and that is between centres when profiling, turning the barrel tenon and screwcutting and with a steady and head stock centre when chambering. This is why it is desirable to have a lathe with distance between centres of about 40" If you want to chamber in the headstock, which is the way lesser gunsmiths do it, then you dont need that kind of distance between centres.
This method is the only method that when set up properly gives the most accurate concentricity.

"Advanced re-barrelling of the sporting rifle" by Willis Fowler is an excellent book.

Fitting an indexed brake is a matter of simple maths.
Turn and screwcut your barrel as normal, fit the brake.
Align your barrel and using an engineers protractor, measure the angle of the muzzle brake from the vertical, for example lets say 15 degrees out.
Again for example lets use a 20 TPI thread, this means that for each complete revolution of the brake it will move .050" on to the barrel. Divide .050" by 360 and this will give you linear movement/per degree which = .00014"for each degree of rotation. Multiply this by 15 and you have the amount of material to take off the shoulder and the corresponding amount off the muzzle to index the brake exactly which is .0021"

Ian.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

Bridgeport
Old 05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

My views are changing the more I learn about lathes. First I thought it was better to buy a new machine than taking a chance with a older model. What I am beginning to learn is that the degree of precision and ease of using the older better machines has some real long term benifits. I want to buy the right lathe the first time. From your out put and the guys at benchmark barrels I think I am going to wait and try to find a good clausing victor or whatever quality lathe I can afford . My budget is also expanding with my gained knowledge. I am going to try to keep it under $5000 dollars. When i talked to Ron at benchmark barrels he said a lathe like the JET will work, but it is not in the same class as some of the older lathes. I have found a few good priced clausing lathes on ebay in NJ. I am open any suggestions. I am trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks you so much for your advice
Old 05-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

Ian thank for your reply I am going to buy that book and thank for the explaination on muzzle breaks, its the simplist way I have ever heard it explained. Its helped me to clarify a few things. With your help, hear at LRH < I think I am on the right track. Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

There are some truly great old lathes out in this world. But the finest in my opinion that I ever used was a lathe made in Canada, the "Standard Modern" I don't think it is a widely known machine. If you really want a machine that has vary little vibration then I would lean towards a belt drive. Lathes for sale This is a link to help you get some ideas. I do hope it helps! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Here is another that I hope will help. I would like to direct you to some books that are always a good read, The Machinist Bedside Reader. A fantastic set of books. Many hours of great reading found between the covers. I just checked my favorits list and I have a lot of links for machine shop equipment and prices. If you run out, please ask for more and I will be more than happy to post more for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Metal Lathe index Link page Links page
Old 05-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Reed,
Just a little note, dont to forget to budget for tooling, etc. I budgeted 3500 (about $6200) for a lathe and a bridgeport for my home workshop but when i totted up all the tooling i thought i might need this added another $2500 or so,just for the lathe for instance, quick change tool posts, tooling, live and dead centres, quality chucks and spare jaws, etc. For the mill a vice, dividing head, autolock holders, boring head, cutters, etc. Dont forget an offhand grinder for sharpening your lathe tools.
There are an awfull lot of items that can almost double your budget.
Good luck with your machining course and when you find a lathe that you like, take along your machinist buddy to give it the once over.

Ian.