Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Necessity and Invention (lets see your gadgets).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Necessity and Invention (lets see your gadgets).

I've always been a 'tweaker' maybe it's my upbringing on a ranch and being able to fix anything with a little bailing wire and duct-tape. I'm constantly trying to find a better (err, cheaper) way to do things. Here are 3 of mine.

1) I couldn't find a bore guide to fit my 338 Allen Mag and after leaving several messages at different bore guide mfger's I decided to just make one myself. I cut down a fired case and epoxied a tube into the case. I used the plastic bodies from 20ga shells to make a perfect fit in the action. It holds it tight/straight and works like a charm.

2) I didn't like the 338 jag I was using, as it was too long, when I was cleaning, there was knurling that was not covered by the patch. It would rub/file on the opening of the bore guide if I wasn't really careful. I chucked it up in the drill press and a couple minutes work with a bastard file and I had a jag that was only .338 caliber under the patch and smooth elsewhere. It probably makes little difference, but I like it better .

3) Homemade scope level, using a picture frame bubble ($1.29 at the hardware store) and a dab of epoxy turned a Butler Creek scope cap into a very workable level. A small mark on the cap and scope body with a sharpie marker and I can always verify it is level (initially calibrated with the level-level-level). It is thin enough that it does not contact the lens on this scope.

Have a great day,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 09-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: Necessity and Invention (lets see your gadgets).

Nice!! That's using the 'ol noodle...great job.

I have an idea...wouldn't it be great if some scope maker would give us multiple horizontal crosshairs that we could move indepent of each other? You know, set one at 100 yards, another at 200 yards, etc...
Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

Really like the scope level! Tried to make one myself out of a bubble from a builders level and a weaver scope ring, only prob was the scope ring is 1" and my scope is 30mm. Was trying to see if the concept worked before I bought a 30mm ring, but I'm going to try your idea first.

Stu.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

That scope level rocks.

I also think that was a good idea with the Jag. I scratched the crown on one of my guns because the jag had a larger diamater than the rod. When I pushed i through the bore the rod feel to the bottom of the bore and when I pulled it back through it 90 degree shoulder on the jag hit the crown pretty hard.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

That bubble level idea is a great one!!

Might have to try that myself...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you guys like them.

Let's see some of your gadgets now ;)

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Great ideas!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl