Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

"my Monday morning rant"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: "my Monday morning rant"

I look at this issue through the filter of, "There but for the grace of God go I".

Some are more gifted and talented than others. Is that the proper use of then/Than? LOL

I feel blessed that when I came to this earth, I was gifted with intellect that allows me to do many things well.

Tolerance is a trait I am trying to work on.......
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
SPONSOR

I didn't grow up with computers and video games. I had to learn about computers later in life to maintain my business. I never took typing. I have a high school diploma and some college, but, no degree in anything that pays much. My computer isn't 'young', either. I have key stick every now and again. When communication degrades to the point it becomes not understandable, or it has to be read twice to get its meaning, it's no long 'communication'. Monday mornings are always rough!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
Just AX me, I'll tell you no lies!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Have a minor in technical writing, but its been a few years since it was applied.

Many times I re-read my posts and wonder if my tuition was a waste, or the cobwebs in my brain have reached terminal levels.

It seems the collective demographic of forums changes over time, we currently have a large proportion of international members and an ever broadening base of less serious long rangers.

Oddly the international members have understandable communication barriers, i.e. verb conjugation and sentence structure. However they are usually quite easy to read.

It does cause some concern personally, long range hunting is in its very nature a precision sport. Makes one wonder "if yer inglis is merginal, hows yer showtin?"
Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
PUBLISHER

Catholic gradeschool education here. Perfect grammar and near perfect spelling --- until I gett carless.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Catholic gradeschool education here. Perfect grammar and near perfect spelling --- until I gett carless.
I think you just answered the original question! I recall being graded low on one paper for using the rules taught by another teacher. Many public school teachers are teaching subjects in which they lack the requisite background.
I subjected my children to K-12 Catholic schools, and neither required remedial classes to enter college.
My eldest had an interesting experience writing a collegiate level paper. She chose health care as a topic, and apparently the content was not well received. Worst grade she ever got, and nearly cost her a scholarship. This kid doesn't think can write, she knows she can. She also had a liberal arts advisor that didn't think she would need chemistry to attend pharmacy school. She did not take that advice, wrote more PC papers, and has one more year to achieve her Pharmacy Doctorate.
Just one public high school here achieved the state "mandated" testing scores. Of the dozen or so girls my daughter started kindergarten with, 4 I know of will be Veterinarians, and Doctors of one type or another. It's probably more but I've not kept track of the entire class.
Catholic schools quit using testing from public schools as comparison because it lowers the bar to the point of meaningless.