Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

My Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My Bear

Nice animals, congrats! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

I too live and work in Orange County. The bear and the deer was taken on the same property. Yankee Lake, located just above Wurtsboro. Its about a 40 min drive from my house just off of 17 Quickway. I refuse to hunt Sterling Forest, too many sound shooters!! I live a rock throw from the Stewart (MTA) property which offers an excellent bow season but I will not hunt deer there with a shotgun (the same sound shooters hunt there from Sterling Forest). ITs good to find another person at this site from Orange County. It seems that people from PA dominate the site. Which is not a bad thing but its good to hear from someone local. I'm glad you liked the pictures and hopefully I can post some woodchuck pictures next.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:30 PM

Brian, are you in the catskills? The thing I love about sharon and springfield IS the lack of a-holes. But it is shotgun only. I use my shotgun is sharon since I'm all woods, my buddy has a 500 acre farm in springfield where I like my muzzleloader to reachout farther.

Deergrunt, they opened a new section in greenwood lake this year, archery only. Tons of deer there. the rifle guys across 17A chase'em all over.

If you guys want to swap hunts on my properties it would be great. I have 152 acres and my buddy has 500. Plenty of deer & Turkeys!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

This was the first year that I had more doe tags than freezer space!! My friend and I received two extra doe tags each for Orange County. On top of the already two doe tags I had. I have deer in the backyard every night. My wife calls them her pets. Heaven help her pets if one shows up during deer season (rifle or bow or blackpowder) that has head gear.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:17 PM

I live on 2.2 acres so I can't really hunt here except bow. They come out of the woods behind my house and hang out on the grass next to the woodline. From the seat I'm sitting in right now I'm a 30 yard shot max with the bow. I tell my wife that I'm going to sit here with a beer opening day and stay warm while I hunt. One day I saw 11 standing there about 1 hour sunset. My wife doesn't want me to shoot her "pets" either. She even named them! I did want to take out one that was shot in the back and was limping along on 3 working legs and dragging the fourth. She insisted it would get better. They were all does or young deer, no horns. I told her I'm not going to shoot her "pet" deer, but if a nice rack goes by he's history. If I'm going to fight with her and deal with the crap its got to have horns!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

John,

Im in the catskills right at the headwaters of the west branch of the delaware river, sharon springs is about 45min north, Swaping hunts would be fun but i dont have any personal land, but if you guys are looking for a place to shoot 1000 yards let me know.

Brian
Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 AM

I'm in the northern end where rt 20 meets rt 10. I also hunt otsego county, the border is about 3 miles west on rt 20 the town is springfield which is just north of cooperstown. My property is sharon springs.
I saw some bear tracks 2 years ago when turkey hunting. My brother, father, and I encountered a bear in the woods behind the sharon spring's house about 16 years ago, and there was a sighting last year in Richfield Springs which is about 15 miles away. I don't think we are getting a bear season anytime soon. I can hunt the sterling forest state land near where I live in Orange county, they are LOADED with bears. But...only 1 hour from NYC, I avoid the A-holes. They do have a great "archery only" section that opened up last year for the first time.

Is your area in NY shotgun only, or can you use a rifle?