Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which Muzzleloader is best for the money??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Muzzleloader is best for the money??

Guys, I just read an article about a new front loader built on a Howa action. I don't remember which rag it was in but it handles 5- 50 grain pellets and has some awsome balistics. It's ignited by a 45 long colt case (I think) with a mag rifle primer in it.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Coyboy,
I think that you are describing the BP Express.

http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/index.htm

You can not use smokeless with this rifle! Seems strange with their strength claims!

edge.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Edge - Right now I'm shooting 58gr of Hodgon Lil'gun, 250gr sst, ballistic bridge, and harvester sabot. I've got some decent groups with just the harvester sabot, but I just about cut the groups in half with the use of a ballistic bridge.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

distantfoe,

Ah, Lil'Gun, one of my old favorites! I have shot at least 12 pounds in my Savage.
I have used sub bases for the last 4 years, but found that 1 out of ten shots would be a flier, which I attribute to the sub base. I moved to slower powders and no longer need the sub base. Just food for thought.

edge.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

edge - that's interesting, I thought I was experiencing an occasional flier when the clean barrel had <10 rounds through it. I am considering other slower powders, Lil'gun seems little touchy. It can be hard to every speck of powder out of those vials and when the gun won't shoot with 57.5 or 58.5 but exactly 58gr, it makes me want to explore the powders that use upwards of 80gr. I did get some good groups with 80+ of H4198, which initially I was worried it would be hard to ignite in colder weather. At any rate, this would give me a chance to play with loads that don't use the sub base. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM

I'm building mine on a pardner 12ga shotgun. There shouldn't be any problems. They can also be built on a ruger #1, but I thought that was overkill.

I've never heard anything about the swinglock. That great that another Smokeless is performing well. I heard the NULA's a awesome as well.

Shooting from are clean bore is a problem with ML's. The first shot is off. But like you said, is you leave it fouled you rust the barrel.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP

Shooting from are clean bore is a problem with ML's. The first shot is off. But like you said, is you leave it fouled you rust the barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings up some different opinions on technique!

Since this is Longrangehunting.com, IMO, EVERY shot will be from a clean barrel.

Unlike our centerfire friends, if you take a spotting shot you will need to stand to reload. Once you lose the position I see no reason not to swab the bore before reloading. I think that for absolute consistency this is critical.

I am not talking about close-in hunting accuracy to 200 or 250 yards, but at longer ranges perhaps starting at 300.

edge.