Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Muzzle Brakes and Ear Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Muzzle Brakes and Ear Protection

This is aimed at guys that hike and hunt with a rifle thatís braked. What do you do for ear protection? Where do you carry it and how do you use it? Plugs hanging around your neck or off the back pack? Do you practices with a brake then take it off to hunt? I donít like brakes as a rule but the new rifle in the works will require one so was wondering how everyone else deals with this important issue. Thanks for your reply in advance.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle Brakes and Ear Protection

At the bare minimum I always have some of the ear plugs with string that attaches them together. I tie them to the size adjustment on the back of my hat, that way they are hanging readily accessible. I also recommend other forms of hearing protection to be carried in your pack so that if you have the time you can double up.

I shoot larger magnums, and you don't EVER want to shoot one with a brake if you don't have at least ear plugs in.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

I carry those construction type ear plugs that are on the plastic head band. I carry them even with out a break. If there is time I put them in if I am spotting or shooting. They ride comfortably around your neck. I've seen some that supposedly let you still hear while wearing them and they are not electronic. I have not tried them yet.

Steve
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Jim,

I carry those construction type ear plugs that are on the plastic head band. I carry them even with out a break. If there is time I put them in if I am spotting or shooting. They ride comfortably around your neck.
Steve

I also use banded ear plugs, I have not gotten used to wearing them around my neck, so I usually just hook them onto my suspenders, it only takes a second to pop them in. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

The only rifles that I have brakes on, are those that I sit and wait. No jump shooting type rifles.

For ear protection, I use the foam rollup type in addition to the electronic muffs. With the muffs turned up and the foam plugs in, I can hear as good as or better than without anything. But when I shoot, I have double protection.

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
The only rifles that I have brakes on, are those that I sit and wait. No jump shooting type rifles.

For ear protection, I use the foam rollup type in addition to the electronic muffs. With the muffs turned up and the foam plugs in, I can hear as good as or better than without anything. But when I shoot, I have double protection.

Hope this helps,
AJ

That's exactly my MO.
You only have to forget one time and you can do some real damage to your ears.....I spotted a monster buck at around 850 yds across the valley ;I made the bad decision to put on my ear muffs and not my double protection and I paid for it
Tom

Last edited by AFISHN; 03-11-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling