Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Muzzle brake for sporter weight rifle ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Muzzle brake for sporter weight rifle ???

Ok, I am building a Remington 700 in 300win mag. This will be my carry gun for Elk, Mule's and such. Currently I have a heavy barrel in 300win mag with a brake. I want to put a brake on the carry gun too. Does not have to be a slim line, but that would be nice. Any comments will be welcomed.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle brake for sporter weight rifle ???

Are you aware of recoil when taking game?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

if their is any chance that your muzzel will be closer than about 2 feet from the ground when firing then I would recomend a baffel style like the Holland or Defensive Edge I had my paws on one of the coolest looking brake I have ever seen the other day made by Nate Dagley (308nate here) and looking at the desgine it looks to be very effective due to the larger surface area of the baffels. I think this is the brake that I'll be using from now on
Old 01-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

No I don't really get the recoil when hunting. But I do alot of shooting during the year with my hunting rifles and I have really come to love those damn muzzle brakes. In fact, just got my 375H&H back and WOW, what a pussy cat she is now.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

JD, thanks, that's good advice! I have been looking at the DE brake and I think I am going to try one. By the way, I just have to ask, are you JDJone of SSK fame??

Doug
Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Nope I'm not the same guy just lucky enough to have the same initals I guess ,i never even thought about it till sombody asked me here.

Do a search for 308 nate he is a member here and a jam up gunsmith that has desgined his own brake he has a link to his web page under his name , his brake desgine is very good looks pretty cool to and the cost is more than reasonable.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

That clears that up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ditto on Holland or DE brake.

Nate's look like it'll do the job also.