Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Muzzle Brake Or Ported Barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Bronze Member

Muzzle Brake Or Ported Barrel?

Which is the better way to go and why? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle Brake Or Ported Barrel?

Hi i have both and the porting realy only helps with muzzle rise and the dreaks are much better for reducing recoil. The larger the area the gas has as a baffle the beter a break will work but stay away from any with bottom facing ports as they throw up dirt and debris every where when fired off the ground .

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 11-23-2006, 04:01 AM
Bronze Member

Wild Bill, thanks for the info.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

hi
if you are involved in stalking on FC (forestry commission) ground then think very carefully about your choice. as i believe it is only a matter of time till you have to use a moderator on FC ground. i have just applied for a lease and the head ranger was giving me the mandatory 1000 questions and one of his questions was.
do you have moderators fitted this is not that important as it is not compulsory yet.

make of this as you will, but i have said for a bit that they are going to be a requirement.
hope this is off some help.
thanks
Colin
Old 11-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I never recommend porting a barrel of a rifle. Brakes are the only way to go in my opinion. Handguns, thats a different story at times.

With a rifle, an add on brake will not reduce any performance levels and will not effect accuracy in any way if the brake is installed properly. Porting a barrel can cause other issues with accuracy and you always loose usible barrel length.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com