Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Multi-range groups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Multi-range groups

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done something like this. When I used to bow hunt a lot I would shoot groups from random distances onto a paper plate. It would be the first shot of the day over a few days. I did that to see how my first shot ability was. I'd take some sitting, standing or around a tree to simulate field conditions. I always liked to think anytime I let one go, I knew where it would go. This helped my see how good I really was.

Anyone try this with a rifle over all the distances you plan on hunting at? In all honesty I don't have the skill to shoot a rifle at the ranges that would make it interesting,but I know there's a lot of great shots here who could make it interesting. I'm really interested to see what members here can do. Zero to as far as your comfortable, first shot of the day. No warm ups, no do overs or sighters. Just one shot, at a random distance like you would in the field.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Multi-range groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstilt View Post
first shot of the day. No warm ups, no do overs or sighters. Just one shot, at a random distance like you would in the field.
Unless I am load developing, I only take one shot a day and usually the target is an 8x8" steel plate. I'll shoot from all the positions I can think of. Shooting sticks, off a tree, fencepost, sitting position, prone.

I only have a 400 yard range while there are crops; so anything up to 400 in the summer, 600 in winter.

I also like to shoot in high wind, rain, snow, whatever...
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

If you can hit that gong every time from field positions, that's some fine shooting. Hopeful I'll be able to do the same one day.

On a side note, I read on the ladder testing mentioned in your sig. If I can find a range over 200 yards I'd like to give it a try. Sounds like a neat idea.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstilt View Post
On a side note, I read on the ladder testing mentioned in your sig. If I can find a range over 200 yards I'd like to give it a try. Sounds like a neat idea.
I have done ladder tests at 100 yards successfully; but the targets can get hard to examine.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Bronze Member

You are right, that target is a bit crowded. I may give it a try at 200 and see what happens.