Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Moving targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Moving targets

I'm always making my own shooting targets but lately I've been wanting to make a moving target and most of the ideas don't really work ( the target only moves temporarily ) or I have to have another person with me. So if someone has made a moving target or has some ideas I would like to hear them. I'm happy with any speed the target can go slow or fast it doesn't matter
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Moving targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_hunter View Post
I'm always making my own shooting targets but lately I've been wanting to make a moving target and most of the ideas don't really work ( the target only moves temporarily ) or I have to have another person with me. So if someone has made a moving target or has some ideas I would like to hear them. I'm happy with any speed the target can go slow or fast it doesn't matter

I have seen and used several moving targets and the best one was a cable/wire that was spaced apart between two dryer pulleys and driven by a 12 volt DC motor and battery.

The target was suspended from the cable and printed on both sides. It ran continuous and at any speed you wanted.

I also saw one that had 3 pulleys, that gave you a quartering too and away shot plus a side shot.

The simplest one was set up like a zip line and after being pulled up the cable was released by a pull rope from the shooting station. (Very simple but having help was always the best idea).

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Moving targets

I've read of a mule deer hunter who shot at tires rolling down hill

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams