Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Moving out West

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Moving out West

To be perfectly clear I was born in Wa and lived in ID for 10 years after college. 3 years ago I moved to Atlanta (New career) and am now ready to move back. I am in the process of trying to decide where to go. I know what Idaho has to offer for hunting, and my love of the outdoors. I don't know much about MT or Wyoming. Mostly about the cities and where are good places to live. Looking at areas that have hospitals in them. Can some of you guys that live in MT or Wy comment on hunting and what its like to live in some of the places you do?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Moving out West

Atlanta huh? Be ready for some cold weather and lots of snow but at least no Kudzu.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Atlanta huh? Be ready for some cold weather and lots of snow but at least no Kudzu.
Thats what I grew up with. Spent plenty of time around McCall in several feet of snow. I love the cold hate the heat
Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Grew up in Idaho. Been in Wy. for 27 years. I like the hunting here better than Id. Can kill several antelope every year. Some areas can get a second elk , although it's for a cow. Both whitetail and mulies. Good part of the state is general license for deer. Decent amounts of public land to hunt on. Bruce
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillettehunter View Post
Grew up in Idaho. Been in Wy. for 27 years. I like the hunting here better than Id. Can kill several antelope every year. Some areas can get a second elk , although it's for a cow. Both whitetail and mulies. Good part of the state is general license for deer. Decent amounts of public land to hunt on. Bruce
Bruce how do you like living in Gillette it was one of the cities on my radar.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

Its a great city with resources well beyond its population size. Great schools with good sports programs. I have been here for 28 years. We have basically refused to participate in the last recession. County seat for Campbell county. Wy is the largest coal producer in the USA. Campbell county provides the bulk of that. So mineral taxes have been VERY good here.
General weather isn't too different from Id. Probably more wind as a overall average.
Hospital here continues to grow. Seems to be generally well run and maintained.
My biggest complaint has been the lack of upland game birds. They have a area 25 or miles So of town where they release pheasants once per week. Fair sharptail population and thats about it. Some waterfowl, but not easy to do well locally.
If you fish the nearest lake is Keyhole 45 min away. Walleye, pike, crappie etc. Closest good trout lake is DeSmit 70 miles away. Miracle Mile is about 2 1/2 hrs away.
Lots of prairie right at Gillette. If you want to see the mtns then you go a hr either East or West. Loys of antelope in the Southern part of Campbell county and the neighboring counties. All antelope are draw, but many in our general area are undersubcribed so you can buy licenses over the counter. Most deer is general here so over the counter. Have killed a elk 3 of the last 4 years here in Campbell county. Just got to draw the tag. If you have more specific questions feel free to call me. My cell is 307-670-3390. Outlaw on the network is also in Gillette. You might talk to him. One or two others also on the network. Bruce
Old 12-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Bruce I will definitely hit you up. I definitely like the whitetail so if you have that around Gillette i am sold. I am also looking at Casper, Cheyenne, and Laramie to name a few.