Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Most inaccurate rifles ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Most inaccurate rifles ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
My brand new Remington 700 VSSF II 220 swift. Upon breaking it in I was getting good groups and it opened up to 6 inches. 6 inches. Switched scopes checked all torques on all screws etc. Sad sad sad. Sent it back to remington and they recrowned barrel - looks like ground out right at the rifling. The lapped the barrel and did something else the returning gunsmith said but he wouldn't explain it. oh well. they sent it back with 1 to 1.5 inch groups. Hey thats better than my 6 inch groups. Put my Jewell 1 pound trigger in it. Shortened the front action screw that was now too long to close the bolt. How does that happen? interesting. Got a barrel deresonator and got groups down to under 1/2 inch. Now we are talking ok but not great. Didn't like the the deresonator - worried I would move it so I took it off. Groups opened back up. So I took a tube of silicone caulk and filled the grooves in the barrel level with the outside of the barrel. REALLY. Torqured it all back up and get the 1/2 or smaller groups again. Made loads now to fit magazine even though the chamber is so long when I measured the bullets would fall out of the case. SAD SAD. I like a varmint gun for coyotes that is not a single shot so went with magazine length. Good quality accuracy assurance. Ya right. Going to shoot it out and put on new barrel. Interesting learning lesson.
and there I was whining and crying because my 700VS was shooting 4.25" groups with hand loads! My throat was so long that I could have shot 100 grain bullets in a .223! But on the otherhand you have to realize that Remington and folks like Savage have to cut chambers for the entire bullet range out there, so you have to also take that in mind. I once bought a used Ruger 77 off a used gun rack that looked pretty good (so much for looks). After giving the rifle a really good cleaning job I started to wipe out the inleting in the stock, and saw part of a matchbook cover where the front screw went thru it. I left it out and the rifle shot six inch shotgun style groups!. Went home sobbing as I got took on this one. It was late Saturday night and I wanted to fix that bad spot, but didn't have any Devcon laying about. I found a tube of Polyquick stick (a two part epoxy putty), and rebedded the front screw with that stuff. Next time out I shot 3/4" groups with the same loads. I finally got it down to half inch groups. Not real bad for a standard light barrel 6mm.
gary
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

The most inaccurate rifle i ever shot was a smle 303 brit. it was probably because of the many years of neglect that the rifle had seen or the thousands of corrosive primers that had been used but all i could ever get out of it was about 2 1/2''.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

My picks are:

A ruger hawkeye,...after 2weeks of solid load testing a 1.5" group was its best.

A ruger m77 marK II, ......VEEEERY finicky on what it will shoot.

A browning a-bolt stainless steel stalker,....well, it's the reason i hate any rifle with a 60 degree bolt lift, it was horrible in every way you could think of.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson