Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Most inaccurate rifles ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Most inaccurate rifles ever.

Huh.....My Remy 7600 prints under an inch with my reloads, as well as my brothers and dads. But maybe we got three lucky ones. Pretty handy guns in the brush. Mine doesnt care for boattails and balistic tips, but throw a flat based soft point in there and she loves it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ester View Post
Huh.....My Remy 7600 prints under an inch with my reloads, as well as my brothers and dads. But maybe we got three lucky ones. Pretty handy guns in the brush. Mine doesnt care for boattails and balistic tips, but throw a flat based soft point in there and she loves it.
90% of the ones I've seen shoot pretty two inch groups. But I did see one up in Michigan once that was a rock solid 1.38" gun with 165 grain hand loads and a lot of rework to it.
gary
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Obviously scrap metal military guns as already mentioned like AK's, & SKS's, & the ol 6.5 jap from WW-ll.
As far as modern huntin rifles go IMO, Rem tops the list with some of thier autiloader, & pump "masterpieces".
Rem semi auto 740, 742, & 7400
Rem pump 760, & 7600
Now, of course, there were a few accurate ones made. The sun even shines on a dogs butt sometimes. But as a whole, those were some of the most wildly in-accurate p.o.s. rifles ever assembled. I know, cause I owned one, & know a few other folks that did, or still do too. They're all minute of Volkswagen at 100yds on a good day.
I've hered of a few single shot New England Firearms type rifles that'd give the Rem autos, & pumps a run for thier money in the accuracy (or LACK there of) department tho.

I'm sure every major firearms manufacturer has made some lemons. Some models of some manufacturers rifles are complete hit, or miss too, (some of the Ruger's mentioned in earlier posts) but the Rem's mentioned have been pretty darn consistant in the joke for accuracy race.
just to add to your post. The old 7.7 Jap rifle used in WWII was a stronger action than most military rifles of the day. It pretty came down to a better grade of steel if I remember right
gary
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

My brand new Remington 700 VSSF II 220 swift. Upon breaking it in I was getting good groups and it opened up to 6 inches. 6 inches. Switched scopes checked all torques on all screws etc. Sad sad sad. Sent it back to remington and they recrowned barrel - looks like ground out right at the rifling. The lapped the barrel and did something else the returning gunsmith said but he wouldn't explain it. oh well. they sent it back with 1 to 1.5 inch groups. Hey thats better than my 6 inch groups. Put my Jewell 1 pound trigger in it. Shortened the front action screw that was now too long to close the bolt. How does that happen? interesting. Got a barrel deresonator and got groups down to under 1/2 inch. Now we are talking ok but not great. Didn't like the the deresonator - worried I would move it so I took it off. Groups opened back up. So I took a tube of silicone caulk and filled the grooves in the barrel level with the outside of the barrel. REALLY. Torqured it all back up and get the 1/2 or smaller groups again. Made loads now to fit magazine even though the chamber is so long when I measured the bullets would fall out of the case. SAD SAD. I like a varmint gun for coyotes that is not a single shot so went with magazine length. Good quality accuracy assurance. Ya right. Going to shoot it out and put on new barrel. Interesting learning lesson.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Well, you have me beat. My Rem 700 SPS in 7STW shoots 6" groups with anything but 180 VLD's. Those will shoot <1", provided I have forearm pressure under the barrel. If not it's 3" on a good day.
My Kimber Montana 7-08 is a 4" gun so far. Biggest pos I ever had in my hands. It's getting barrel pressure tonight.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

I had an old Russian rifle from ww11, 6.62, the bullets would tumble when I fired it.
the damage it would do to a Deer was unbelievable. I only tried it once my Dad was mad as hell that I used it.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
2. just about any AK 47 and the variants
One of the exceptions worth to mention are Rk62's. The only ones that I had that weren't fairly accurate were the ones with broken sights. Of course, in full automatic mode not that accurate...

Rk 62 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia