Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Most inaccurate rifles ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Re: Most inaccurate rifles ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I have a New England Arms 22-250 that will print a nice tight 6 inch group at 100 yards. I would get rid of it but I think it is hilarious to just take it out every once and a while and shoot it.
I bought a really cheap 223 gun off a work mate one time it was almost new and I knew it had to have something wrong with it even though it was in as new condition. Well it shot like yours , even worse about 9 inch groups at times. It took 2 years of tracking down faults to sort it out and now it shoots quite good.

Faults were as best I can remember as it's been some time.
Forend putting pressure on the barrel.
Warped stock in the bedding area .
Bolt lugs only bearing on one lug.
Firing pin nose chipped .
Firing pin jamming due to burr and rough machining inside bolt body , most likely caused the chip .
Bolt handle not closing all the way due to faulty stock inlet and lack of proper clearance at root of bolt causing the bolt to lift on firing the trigger.
Really crap made trigger that was roughly made , jerky and full of creep and backlash.
2 Stripped screws in the scope base .
I am sure I have missed one or two other minor faults .
This was one of those lemons that is just unlucky enough to cop a whole lot of faults on the one gun or it has been one of those guns that a lot of faulty parts have been swapped onto it to fix other guns and then sold to some poor unsuspecting buyer. I tend to think the later.
I bought it for a challenge as I new it had to be a real pig and it was a shocker .
At one point I thought it had me beat but eventually it came good .
Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

I would say the AK47 and SKS. The M1 carbine and Mini 14 are not too far behind them.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I would say the AK47 and SKS. The M1 carbine and Mini 14 are not too far behind them.
Perhaps because they are designed as "spray and pray" guns!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Perhaps because they are designed as "spray and pray" guns!
Agreed. As far as automatic rifles are concerned, the AK's reliability would be hard to beat.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Obviously scrap metal military guns as already mentioned like AK's, & SKS's, & the ol 6.5 jap from WW-ll.
As far as modern huntin rifles go IMO, Rem tops the list with some of thier autiloader, & pump "masterpieces".
Rem semi auto 740, 742, & 7400
Rem pump 760, & 7600
Now, of course, there were a few accurate ones made. The sun even shines on a dogs butt sometimes. But as a whole, those were some of the most wildly in-accurate p.o.s. rifles ever assembled. I know, cause I owned one, & know a few other folks that did, or still do too. They're all minute of Volkswagen at 100yds on a good day.
I've hered of a few single shot New England Firearms type rifles that'd give the Rem autos, & pumps a run for thier money in the accuracy (or LACK there of) department tho.

I'm sure every major firearms manufacturer has made some lemons. Some models of some manufacturers rifles are complete hit, or miss too, (some of the Ruger's mentioned in earlier posts) but the Rem's mentioned have been pretty darn consistant in the joke for accuracy race.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Remington 770 & 710 and not far behind is rossi trifecta.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
Remington 770 & 710 and not far behind is rossi trifecta.
Ahhh yes, I forgot the Rossi swich barrel thing.

On another note tho
I had an older Rossi pump .22, looked like a copy of the ol Winchester octagon barrel with a small corn cobb. Accurate lil bugger for a takedown pump .22. But, it was not a swich barrel like these new "trifecta" things.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"