Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

modifying HS Sendero stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

modifying HS Sendero stock

I have a Rem Sendero with the HS stock. Perhaps someone could explain the logic behind the fit and feel of this thing?? I find myself settling in behind it and repositioning my hand once or twice, finally shrugging, and placing my hand where it needs to be (far from where the grip is comfortable). By comparison, I have a Boyds thumbhole that feals like it grew on me.

I am considering modifying the stock. If I could pull the whole grip back a half inch, rotate it a bit more vertical, remove the wrong side of the ambidextous palm swell, add half an inch to the bottom of the grip, and cut a notch for my thumb up top it would be perfect. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sooo, I have a couple questions.
First, if I remove material from this stock, does it look the same underneath? Just need to be sanded smooth again?

Next, I'm not sure how I will add material to this stock. I would like to extend the bottom of the grip half an inch or so. If I can remove material from the palm swell etcetra and simply sand it smooth again I will build a little cap and paint it appropriately. If not, I'm considering some form of epoxy and a complete remodel and refinish. What would I use for the epoxy? What would I use for the finish?

Finally, if this gets too involved or doesn't produce a nice fealing, nice looking product, what's a good replacement stock? I already know I like the Boyds.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
SPONSOR

Re: modifying HS Sendero stock

pull it off and get the stock you like. you can sell that HS on here or Ebay for $200 I would venture to say...

And, I think you'd be happier. You must have the newer style Sendero ? The old ones had smaller swells and fit better....

Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I have the new one. A proper hold on the grip simply places my hand too high and too close. A replacement may be the way to go. However, I would not mind modifying the grip if it can be done nicely. I don't mind tinkering. I do like the rest of the stock.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

I know. But, it's here, I'm here.... Just to clarify, I'm not really talking about doing all those things. Just what I think it would take to make it ideal. I'm only wanting to do enough to make it likable. I think removing a bit of material from the palm swell and adding a little cap for my pinky to rest on would be a huge improvement.

Further, I do like the rest of the stock. It looks good, is nice and ridgid, lightweight, two swivel studs...

Also the Boyds is a laminate. Will be heavier, will have to be opened up for the heavy barrel, will have to be fit, finished and bedded. Plus bought. Sooo, if modifying this stock is doable, I'd like to know. To make it simple, can I just remove material and sand smooth?? Surely somebody knows...

Thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

The stock is a fiberglass shell. Inside is a pink foam (don't ask how I know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) The foam is to deaden ringing noises that happen from hollow stocks.

You can build it up with "Bondo" or some other goop, but when you want to remove part of the original stock, you will be real sorry you started - take the above advice - sell it and get something else.

I have the new Sendero stock and I love it!

LRH member #23
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

i am interested in the stock i you decide to get rid of it
Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Sponsor

Cat shooter is dead on if you go through the shell you won't be happy and unless you have worked with laying glass it will turn into alot of work and marginal results. On the other hand if you have put down some glass before it will just be alot of work. I find a stock mor eto my liking if it were me.

Shawn

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659