Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

MODERATOR OR SUPPRESSOR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: MODERATOR OR SUPPRESSOR

col,

I would have thought that, practically speaking, you'll be limited to what's easily available in UK.

I use a reflex T8 on my 308. It's not my 'ideal' -rustable thin mild steel, unstrippable etc, but it is light.....you have to see it as a consumable....they are relatively 'short lifed' by the factory ...a fact Jackson doesn't exactly highlight in his sales blurb!

.....it also gets very hot very fast....5 quick rounds will give you bad mirage over the moderator, 10 quick rounds will make it hot enough to give you a burn.

The other options..wildcat etc whilst built to last, are far too heavy. Despite its unstrippability, I would be tempted by the jet-z CQB if I were buying today.

..ps where did you get your Nesikas done?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
col,

I would have thought that, practically speaking, you'll be limited to what's easily available in UK.

I use a reflex T8 on my 308. It's not my 'ideal' -rustable thin mild steel, unstrippable etc, but it is light.....you have to see it as a consumable....they are relatively 'short lifed' by the factory ...a fact Jackson doesn't exactly highlight in his sales blurb!

.....it also gets very hot very fast....5 quick rounds will give you bad mirage over the moderator, 10 quick rounds will make it hot enough to give you a burn.

The other options..wildcat etc whilst built to last, are far too heavy. Despite its unstrippability, I would be tempted by the jet-z CQB if I were buying today.

..ps where did you get your Nesikas done?

[/ QUOTE ]

first let me just say i want the kind of moderator that screws on the end of the barrel,then the baffles are in front,and then the rest of the mod comes back toward the stock.(i do not want any thing porting in my barrel.)
this is a 2 point mounting system.

i had my rifles direct from nesika,and dealt with Richard spurrel,and Steve Giordano,(spelling might be wrong)

i have had a t8 & t4 they are quiet but are crap.
(do you know how much they are to buy from the factory,40
if you can get some one to send you one,i think they are from Finland.)
this is about right as like you said they should be throw away.

i have had the PES not that well made IMHO.
i had one fail.BUT THEY REPLACED IT STRAIGHT AWAY.
AND CHANGED THE DESIGN.

at the moment i am looking at the atec.
they don't seem bad at all but cost 260

how much are the ones that where mentioned in the above posts

THIS IS THE ATEC
AVAILABLE FROM PETE LINCOLN.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

col, would you be kind enough to email me at browndog@fsmail.net ...I'd like to ask you a couple of 'how to?' questions about how you went about getting your rifles over from the States. ...thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Here are my toys....

This is your brain on Cans! Any questions? HAHAHA!

I'm not sure who makes a can for the 243/270. I'm sure awc or another maker does. I have no experience with the round being suppressed. Most people here prefer the military calibers to suppress. Integral cans can be vented near the muzzle as well to make them supersonic and fairly quiet, it's a tough balance.

The surefire cans aren't that much quieter, you have to fire them side by side with another can to determine that. My TPR-S is louder than the new HVT but not enough to tell unless fired side by side. The biggest reason for the surefire being superior is the durability and negligable POI shift. Higher tolerances and better metals exact a bigger price.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

do these mods come back down the barrel????
and how much are they????
and where is the best place to get one.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

meister....great collection!! i am getting a whisper soon in a bolt gun, and would love the 9mm upper for my AR. Those are great setups. Did you have problems with your Pilot? and how do you like the 9mm upper?

not exactly sure what you mean by "coming back down the barrel"
They just thread straight on the end of the barrel, and DON'T have a bunch of extra metal that slides over the barrel before it attaches.

Price varies from about $350, to around $850, and this is without the $200 tax stamp.

There are a ton of class 3 dealers, so most people just pick one near their home and deal with that guy. The prices are pretty much fixed for suppressors, so it's not like you can shop from one guy that has rock bottom prices. Dealer choice is pretty much personal preferance.

hope that helps a little. I think you were from a diff country, so I have no idea how that all works as far as ordering, taxes, etc...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

My apologies, I wasn't very clear in my integral suppressor explanation. The barrel is ported about 2 inches from the crown, the gasses vent into a chamber surrounding the barrel. Some manufacturers put additional vents past the barrel to capture escaping gas past the barrel crown. Most new manufacturers do it the way you saw it, but some old timer still use a sheath around the barrel as an extra large chamber.

My pilot has functioned flawlessly. It was a threaded barrel and a MP5 aimpoint mount I couldn't get from them very easily.

I haven't fired the talon yet. Waiting on parts from rock river to get my lower set up for 9mm.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com