Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Mixing powder !!!??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Mixing powder !!!??

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Mixing powder !!!??

Yup.

I have tried Rl-19 with RL-15. Obviously NOT iin a case that uses RL-19 but a case that uses RL-15. Also I have used H50BMG with Retumbo looking for a fill in the gap between the two.

Both the 308 and the 300 RUM with the mixed powders didnt shoot very well. I tried various percentages including 50/50. Also tried mixing evenly as well as all of one on bottom and all of one on top. Like I said, none shot well enough to continue doing it. Quite frankly, it is probably a nightmare waiting to happen, so I just dont do it anymore. I enjoy shooting too much to blow something off or worse.

Good luck!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

WHY?

With all the powders today, it is quite easy to find one that works without blowing your face off.

BH
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Thank you surely there are more that have tried this?How about flash hole tweaking?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

What do you mean by tweaking?

Most in the extreme accuracy game uniform the flashholes and bevel the inside of the hole. they also uniform the primer pockets.

If you are talking about enlarging the flasholes, then that has been done with worse or at best mixed results normally. However, many open the Br flashholes from .059 to .062 with good results depending on the bullet and powder combo.

Many will use machinist guage pins to accurately measure flashholes and then uniform to max diameter based on largest hole. That calls for custom flashhole reamer. They will also use large guage pins to accurately measure the neck diameter after sizing to control neck tension.

IF you want to try it, start of with 5 cases, enlarge, shoot over chrono with proven load and then enlarge a little more etc. do not start with 100 cases thinking it will be a miracle cure. It will probably "cure your wallet" buying more cases, bullets and powder.

BH
Old 02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

My question would be why?

I use duplex loads all of the time, but that is because of a special situation.

Shooting .458 and .505 rifles with 150 grain 0.308 diameter bullets inside of a plastic sabot does not allow sufficient pressure to burn reasonable quantities of slow powder. Therefore I use a medium fast powder to build enough pressure to burn the slower powder without damaging the sabot and keeping the overall pressure down.

edge.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

My answer is can R&D be beneficial?