Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Misinformation in Varmint Hunter Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 05:01 PM
SPONSOR

Misinformation in Varmint Hunter Magazine

For those of you that subscribe to this magazine; look on pg 8 and start w/ "A Comparison w/the 25-06" and read through the first column on the next page.

Also, look @ page 84 and read the first paragraph in the middle column.

See if you guys think maybe there is some misinformation here.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Misinformation in Varmint Hunter Magazine

Man! I live in S Dakota and havent even got mine yet.Damn Pony Express! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

I seem to have missed the point on the 25-06 info but I'm with ya on the paragraph on the 6mms and .243. The author is a bit wrong here. (although not in any way that would cause harm.)

As quoted from Varmint Hunter magzine issue 57, page 84, second paragraph:

The .243 Winchester and 6mm Remington are top varmint cartridges. With bullets weighing from 75 to 90 graines, the 6mms qualify as super long-range varmint cartridges. However, varmint hunters interested primarily in accuracy should not overlook the 6mm BR Remington and the 6mm PPC bench rest cartridges. Bot have approximately the same effective range as the .222, but offer incredible accuracy in heavy-barrel rigs.

For those here that don't get the mag.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

That would be too funny if in the next VH mag there was a picture of Goodgrouper with a 1200 yard chuck taken with his 6mm BR Tejas. I don't think a 222 would even come remotely close. Obviously the author is a little misinformed.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
That would be too funny if in the next VH mag there was a picture of Goodgrouper with a 1200 yard chuck taken with his 6mm BR Tejas. I don't think a 222 would even come remotely close. Obviously the author is a little misinformed.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND it was done with a 55 or 105 grain bullet.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Ha! That sounds like Dave Petzal in one of the reloading manuals claming the 220 swift is an excellent 300 yard gun and past that you need something bigger!

I guess it all depends on who's version of long range we are talking about. The author of that article has obviously never shot a 6br or a 222 or both! I sat out at the range last summer and watched Brian B ring an 8" gong with his 222 at 600 yards with boring regularity. I then watched 7mmrhb ring it several times with his Hornet! I think I got shortchanged if my 6br improved will only go to 600 yards. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Yea, Don Lewis needs to use some heavier bullets and extend his horizons a bit...I just read his art the other night.

JB