Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph

Gentlemen:
I own a (Pact "chronograph and timer") and a CED Millennium chronograph. Informally I placed one next to the other and shot 8 rounds through both from a .22 caliber hand gun and 4 rounds from my 300 RUM. After averaging and converting to muzzle velocities taking in consideration the weather conditions and different chronographs distances, I got the following results:

Are the differences between broth chronographs acceptable?
How would I know which one is measuring more accurately?

Both chronographs have sensors 2' apart, 24"

Eaglet--------

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 AM

Re: Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph

In my humble opinion, the differance is so slight that it doesn't matter much in real life.

I have a CED Millenium, and have done the same thing you did against an Ohler 35P I borrowed, and they showed virtually no differance either. Which leads me to conclude that the CED is good enough for most people most of the time IMO.

Ps. I do wish in retrospect that the CED could make printouts...
Old 02-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

No offense, but I can't believe you are asking the question? What possible difference would twelve feet per second make? You get a real life number that is better than an estimate published in a reloading manual, so either would be acceptable, in my opinion. Very acceptable.

Good hunting. LB
Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

LB,
It isn't all that bad, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] atleast I'm making a believer out of you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks for your reply, I agree with you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ErikD,
Thanks. I agree, I just wanted to see if it'd be an issue with the extreme long range shooters.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM

I have the CED Mk1 chronograph and in general pretty happy with it and its ease of use. I have compared it with a friends Chrony (cause how does one really know that it is calibrated correctly???) and surprisingly the Chrony reads so close to the CED as to be identical, but the Chrony is much more critical of where the bullets passes over the skyscreen.

However, I do have 1 problem with the CED and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same or has some solutions. If on a hot clear day after a period of time my CED gets what can only be termed as "sunstroke". It will take readings from shots fired 2 to 4 lanes away. Usually really low readings like 1240fps for rifles anything from a .223 to a 300 Mag. When I put my own shot through and it may be a 30-06 say, it will similarly give a low reading in the 1 thousand fps. Now why I diagnosed it as "sunstroke" I found out that if I take the screens in to a covered area out of the sun for say 30mins & then put it out again, it will read as normal again.

Have spoken to the local distributor in Australia and even considered a switch to the Mk2 version and was told the new one was susceptible to the same thing maybe more so as the sensors were supposed to be better and therefore more sensitive.

Regards,
JohnT
Sydney, Australia
Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Do you have the lighted sky screen? I have had no problems with any light condition when I have the lighted sky screen hooked up, but have had some reading problems when I don't.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM

I have the standard skyscreen that comes with the CED Mk1 chronograph that works on sunlight. I don't have the infra red screens. Don't know what you mean by lighted screens.

regards
JohnT