Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

McMillan vs H S Precision stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

McMillan vs H S Precision stocks

I am looking to Buy an Tactical stock .

McMillan A 5 or an
H S Precision Tactical PST25

The H S Stock Has an Full Alumina Bedding Block
A5 Stock only has Alumina Pillor Blacks

What do you about the Two Stocks

To buy an H S Precision Stock
or an Mcillan Stock

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: McMillan vs H S Precision stocks

???

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Both are good stocks , I like the McMillan stocks a little better due to their many differnat configurations.
If any stock is bedded properly then the benifit of the full length pillar I feel realy isin't needed unless you're absolutly super hard on your guns.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Redbone, go with McMillan A-5. Out of the five rifles I own, four of them wear McMillan Stocks. My new 6-284 will be wearing a McMillan A-5. I love this stock, it's an awesome design. I also have a McMillan A-4, it is on my 220 swift. My 6.5x284 wears a McMillan Tooley MBR, and my 338 Yogi wears a McMillan 50 HBR. I love McMillan stocks, they will always be on my rifles.

I have one H&S stock, it is on my 223. It's a good stock, but I will always choose McMillan over H&S. I am getting ready to take the H&S off my 223 and put a McMillan A-3 on it.

Go with the McMillan A-5, you will love it. I think they are a much better designed stock and they look better too! Good luck.

Wildcat
Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

There is no doubt that the A-5 is a fantastic stock; however, the wait is way too long, the price is high and I don't personally like the attitude of the folks at MCM when it comes to single orders. If you check the list archives you will see what I mean. I have one MCM stock and yes I do like it. Bought it off Ebay, I won't wait 8 or 9 months or more for a damn stock. I also have several HS stocks and I like them fine. Most recently, I have been looking into stocks built by Joel Russo (spelling)He makes laminated stocks that are very well liked by all that have them and they only take a few WEEKS! He does offer an A-5 liminated that I plan on buying very soon. So to answer your question, you can wait and pay a ton for a MCM, get an HS now for less and have a very good stock or you can order exactly what you want from Joel. If only all my decisions where this easy.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]Doug
Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

dlebeck is correct when it comes to the wait for McMillan stocks, it's long. I agree, the customer srevices is bad for single orders. When I would call and ask about my stock, you thought I was asking them to move the world. If you want the best, sometimes you're going to have to wait. Also, I agree, McMillan stocks are more expensive than H&S stocks, but you get what you pay for. Once again, good luck.

Wildcat
Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

If you think the attitude of MCM stock are bad, try talking to the Mcbros rifle people. I was looking at a Mcbros action, and went elsewhere because the were nasty BS artists.

I deal with Dick Davis at MCM and never had an attitude. Yes, I do wait for stocks, but I'm not using the A5 stock. The other stocks do not take as long.

MCM is a way better stock that HS.

I have not tried Jim Bordens Rimrock stocks, but Jim is a perfectionist and anyone who has his actions can attest to this. I think he only makes hunting style stocks.