Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


Reply

McMillan Stock colour schemes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 694
McMillan Stock colour schemes

Hey guys, hoping you guys could all help me out a little here. I am looking into starting my first long range project early in the new year and just haven't decided on a colour yet for the stock.

Im either going A-3 or HTG stock. I am looking into a marble colour scheme. its going to be a black action and depending on the colour scheme, will depend on wihch colour barrel. I was thinking 60% black, 20% grey and 20% light grey/white. I like the look of the black and grey marble stocks.

i alos just recently realized i like the look into black and green stocks. I was thinking 50% black, 20% olive and 30% grey.

hoping you guys could show me some pictures of your mcmillan colours and what % is everything thank you!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Searcy, Arkansas
Posts: 700
Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
Hey guys, hoping you guys could all help me out a little here. I am looking into starting my first long range project early in the new year and just haven't decided on a colour yet for the stock.

Im either going A-3 or HTG stock. I am looking into a marble colour scheme. its going to be a black action and depending on the colour scheme, will depend on wihch colour barrel. I was thinking 60% black, 20% grey and 20% light grey/white. I like the look of the black and grey marble stocks.

i alos just recently realized i like the look into black and green stocks. I was thinking 50% black, 20% olive and 30% grey.

hoping you guys could show me some pictures of your mcmillan colours and what % is everything thank you!!
Your first mix of 60% black 20% and 20% grey/white would probably turn out pretty good since the black and lighter colors will contrast well.

I would be real careful about the black and green though with black as the primary color. Black can "overpower" your other colors. I would think you might get a better look going with green as the primary and mixing in the other colors including black. I did an A5 years ago with 70% black 15% green 15% brown. The stock turned out very dark, not at all what I had in mind. I did another in 70% olive, 15% black and 15% tan that turned out very well. Just be careful with really dark colors as the primary.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,232
Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

The following A5 stock is 80% black, 10% grey, 10% white

__________________
If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.


My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

if any of the top 3 trip your trigger I think I have the % written down at the shop.

http://www.centershotrifles.com/prod...1_IMG_9966.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 694
Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Your first mix of 60% black 20% and 20% grey/white would probably turn out pretty good since the black and lighter colors will contrast well.

I would be real careful about the black and green though with black as the primary color. Black can "overpower" your other colors. I would think you might get a better look going with green as the primary and mixing in the other colors including black. I did an A5 years ago with 70% black 15% green 15% brown. The stock turned out very dark, not at all what I had in mind. I did another in 70% olive, 15% black and 15% tan that turned out very well. Just be careful with really dark colors as the primary.
I like the look of darker stocks so I'm not too worried about the black over powering to much, but I will keep my eye out and pay attention to that, thanks!

Quote:
if any of the top 3 trip your trigger I think I have the % written down at the shop.
I really like the top one
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Central Idaho
Posts: 1,086
Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

ADJ-HTG...50% Olive 25% Grey 25% Tan
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
McMillan Stock colour schemes-rifle_1-1024x768.jpg  
__________________
Jim



There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

The top one is 40 blk 30 od green and 30 dark tan.

The black does overpower the other colors a bit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: McMillan Stock colour schemes
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What colour is this gun ? Down Under Hunter Gunsmithing 3 11-19-2009 06:31 PM
Painting steel swinging targets ? What colour is best ? Down Under Hunter General Discussion 4 11-05-2007 03:08 PM
Colour Finishes (not just camo, but...) Chrismadrid General Discussion 3 03-27-2006 08:36 AM
Molded in stock colour schemes subsonic Equipment Discussions 4 10-21-2004 05:09 AM
WTB mcmillan A3 stock!!!!!!!!! JustC Guns For Sale 5 03-29-2003 12:35 AM

Current Poll
Where in the US do you live?
West of the Mississippi River - 61.09%
934 Votes
East of the Mississippi River - 36.69%
561 Votes
On the Mississippi River on a houseboat - 2.22%
34 Votes
Total Votes: 1,529
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC