Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

McMillan Stock colour schemes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

McMillan Stock colour schemes

Hey guys, hoping you guys could all help me out a little here. I am looking into starting my first long range project early in the new year and just haven't decided on a colour yet for the stock.

Im either going A-3 or HTG stock. I am looking into a marble colour scheme. its going to be a black action and depending on the colour scheme, will depend on wihch colour barrel. I was thinking 60% black, 20% grey and 20% light grey/white. I like the look of the black and grey marble stocks.

i alos just recently realized i like the look into black and green stocks. I was thinking 50% black, 20% olive and 30% grey.

hoping you guys could show me some pictures of your mcmillan colours and what % is everything thank you!!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: McMillan Stock colour schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
Hey guys, hoping you guys could all help me out a little here. I am looking into starting my first long range project early in the new year and just haven't decided on a colour yet for the stock.

Im either going A-3 or HTG stock. I am looking into a marble colour scheme. its going to be a black action and depending on the colour scheme, will depend on wihch colour barrel. I was thinking 60% black, 20% grey and 20% light grey/white. I like the look of the black and grey marble stocks.

i alos just recently realized i like the look into black and green stocks. I was thinking 50% black, 20% olive and 30% grey.

hoping you guys could show me some pictures of your mcmillan colours and what % is everything thank you!!
Your first mix of 60% black 20% and 20% grey/white would probably turn out pretty good since the black and lighter colors will contrast well.

I would be real careful about the black and green though with black as the primary color. Black can "overpower" your other colors. I would think you might get a better look going with green as the primary and mixing in the other colors including black. I did an A5 years ago with 70% black 15% green 15% brown. The stock turned out very dark, not at all what I had in mind. I did another in 70% olive, 15% black and 15% tan that turned out very well. Just be careful with really dark colors as the primary.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

The following A5 stock is 80% black, 10% grey, 10% white

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

if any of the top 3 trip your trigger I think I have the % written down at the shop.

http://www.centershotrifles.com/prod...1_IMG_9966.jpg
Old 12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Your first mix of 60% black 20% and 20% grey/white would probably turn out pretty good since the black and lighter colors will contrast well.

I would be real careful about the black and green though with black as the primary color. Black can "overpower" your other colors. I would think you might get a better look going with green as the primary and mixing in the other colors including black. I did an A5 years ago with 70% black 15% green 15% brown. The stock turned out very dark, not at all what I had in mind. I did another in 70% olive, 15% black and 15% tan that turned out very well. Just be careful with really dark colors as the primary.
I like the look of darker stocks so I'm not too worried about the black over powering to much, but I will keep my eye out and pay attention to that, thanks!

Quote:
if any of the top 3 trip your trigger I think I have the % written down at the shop.
I really like the top one
Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

ADJ-HTG...50% Olive 25% Grey 25% Tan
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
McMillan Stock colour schemes-rifle_1-1024x768.jpg  

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

The top one is 40 blk 30 od green and 30 dark tan.

The black does overpower the other colors a bit