Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Material for creating a palm swell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Material for creating a palm swell

bummer man.. no pics?

I did a removeable one on a target rifle one time that was a club gun... we mounted a threaded insert in the grip, and threaded a long bolt into it, smeared grease on the grip, and everybody molded their grip. unthreaded teh bolt, and swapped for the approprate length bolt, and tada! custom grip that is swapable!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

Bondo from the auto store works good but if you get it too thick it will sometimes crack or also chip out if bumped against something. Best thing to date I have used is Acraglas Gel. Takes a while to set but sure isn't going anywhere once its there. Have also mixed either aluminum or stainless steel with it. Will outlast the stock and termites don't eat it. Sometimes it takes several coats or some trial and error sanding to get it to feel just right.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Roger that, on the cracking. Filled the magazine area in the BDL and it shrunk and cracked

Will do pics when I get'er finished. I've decided to put a little more time in the overall finish. I usually don't much care how a rifle looks but how it shoots.

I think its time I got a bit more particular regarding the looks. Then I can go beat the snot out of it in the mountains [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] But that's OK
Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Dear sir
In the mag"" Lock Stock an Barrel"" on page 57.
D&E Palmswell
It will sale for $10.75 .
It is made of polymer-foam rubber pad
.there web address is
www.lockstock.com
Ph 1 800 228 7925

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 05-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Redbone

Appreciate the pointer. However, I'm a lefty and D&E make only right hand swells.

Also, I aged to beyond my life expectance with that "Dear Sir" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

I put one of these on my Lefty 308
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...EEZ+PALM+SWELL

It works pretty good, but you can't form it to fit your hand like you can with bondo-type stuff. Plus I had to glue it on the stock with some aqua-seal to keep it from coming off.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

As normal Memorial Day Weekend rained solid from one end to the other but I did get the lawn mowed yesterday. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

AND more importantly pretty much finished the palm swell quest. It was a learning experience from the get go. Started with a BDL stock that has been my edumacation project from the get go. There are more coats of "stuff" on this thing than there otta be. But all in all a good experience.

The pistol grip on a factory SL-8 is also the pits. That was tackled by my son. He did a pretty good job in achieveing what he wanted. Major improvement!!!