Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Making Sandbags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Making Sandbags?

I'm sure there is probably a place around there that repairs outfitter wall tents. See if they have any scrap canvas or see how much it would be to buy some material. They may even sew it up for you.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

i tried jeans,they leak and tear rather easily.they have been duct taped many times now.someone on this forum sent me 10 shotbags for our sportsmans club range.i filled with sand, plastic ziplock freezer bags,ty-wrapped the end,and they are working great.and used every day.i keep 3 in the truck toolbox and no tears yet.post a request for them or on a shotgun forum,they work well.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Silver Member

trout slayer I have some shot bags if you want a few you can have them send me an email

wildworks@triton.net

WildWorks Outdoor TV

Away Outdoor TV.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Trout, regardless of the material you use for the bags look at the scrap lock tumblers as a fill option. Cleaner than dirt and lead and right in between them for weight. I have a bunch of them saved up but the freight would be a bit much.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Thanks wildworks, I sent you an email. I fell off a mule the other day and had to have surgery, so I'm looking forward to little projects to preserve my sanity while I heal. I'll post a photo of my sandbags when I'm done. They should be cool as I have some suede around here somewhere. I called all the locksmiths in town and they don't havs any tumblers laying around right now.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Bummer about the tumblers. If you could find them I know you would love them. If you are using suede though the dirty part of using lead shot won't be a problem. I don't know about using sand though.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

Troutslayer,
I made my sandbags from the bags that banks use for coins, very tough and they dont leak.
I fill them with bird cage sand which is very fine, compacts well and costs about $0.50 a KG.
The hard bit is scrounging the bags from the bank, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ian.