Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Making Sandbags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Making Sandbags?

How can I make sandbags to take to the range that will not leak? I don't have any old shot bags lying around and if I knew a source for them I would buy a few. Any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Making Sandbags?

I make sure the sand is totally dry, then I seal it in a sturdy plastic bag (usually doubled up) and then drop that into the sand bag. This ensures the sand won't leak and the sand won't get wet. I have never had a problem with them yet.

Good Shootin'
Old 05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
How can I make sandbags to take to the range that will not leak? I don't have any old shot bags lying around and if I knew a source for them I would buy a few. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ] Sinclair Try this link and look for sand bags.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

I guess I should clarify that I need them to hold down my benchrest. Something like two tubular 15 pound bags. I am also on a budget and spending $20 on a lead shot bag seems too much. Thinking about cutting the legs off some old pants and sewing them up, but I know they'll leak in time. Looking for a better idea
Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Troutslayer,

How about plastic bags, doubled for strength, filled with sand and fit inside some old socks. Double the socks if you have to. Zip tie the sock opening????

Jim
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

Sand bags are a simple task just pour dry sand in plastic bags and sew the plastic bags in blue jean legs you can make them as long or short as you need (for weight)sew a piece of leather connecting them for easy portage.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

If you want heavy and cheap and won't leak then try this. Old pair of jeans for material. Cut to length and sew to shape. Then go to the local locksmiths and ask them if they have old tumblers from when they rekey locks. We are all packrats and can't stand to throw anything away. They undoutably will have a box or a bucket laying around somewhere. They will probably sell you all of them for a couple bucks. A side note: If they take it to the recycler they will only get 7 cents a pound for yellow brass. The tumblers will look like brass rice sorta. They are quite heavy and are large enough that they wont leak out of the material. I made a leather rear bag and filled it with these tumblers and the thing weighs a ton and still squishes around like sand or lead shot. You might want to go buy the tumblers first so you don't make your bags too large (heavy).

Just make sure your seams are strong.